Best cheap UVB light bulb? :)

BentoNeko

Location (City and/or State)
kentucky
Hi guys!!

So i've been looking at multiple variations of UVB lights on blogs and all that,and they are seem to be $50 0r more!!
Any recommendations for good bulbs thatll keep my turtle healthy but ones that are cheaper than $50?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
That's sort of a trick question... Prices on good UVB lights (bulbs) have climbed the last couple years. :eek: After the initial setup, the UVB bulbs are probably my single biggest expense, and I have to plan for replacing them yearly. :(

If you can get your boxie outside for an hour or even a half hour here and there, a few days a week (sun time is cumulative), you may not have to rely on the UVB. Especially if your boxie's diet includes a good commercial food, so the boxie will get enough D3 from het diet. She needs the D3 to be able to use the calcium to grow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's sort of a trick question... Prices on good UVB lights (bulbs) have climbed the last couple years. :eek: After the initial setup, the UVB bulbs are probably my single biggest expense, and I have to plan for replacing them yearly. :(

If you can get your boxie outside for an hour or even a half hour here and there, a few days a week (sun time is cumulative), you may not have to rely on the UVB. Especially if your boxie's diet includes a good commercial food, so the boxie will get enough D3 from het diet. She needs the D3 to be able to use the calcium to grow.
I loved your whole post except the part about replacing bulbs annually. I have HO bulbs that have been running for three years and the UV output is still good. Same for regular 10.0 tubes. According to my UV meter, they do not degrade as fast as the manufacturers and sellers want us to buy more.

A UV meter costs $249 up front, but it will save you that much over time in unnecessary bulb replacement, AND you'll be sure all your chelonians are getting the correct amount of UV.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I loved your whole post except the part about replacing bulbs annually. I have HO bulbs that have been running for three years and the UV output is still good. Same for regular 10.0 tubes. According to my UV meter, they do not degrade as fast as the manufacturers and sellers want us to buy more.

A UV meter costs $249 up front, but it will save you that much over time in unnecessary bulb replacement, AND you'll be sure all your chelonians are getting the correct amount of UV.
I haven't purchased a UVB meter yet, but it's been on my list for a while. :) The return on investment looks much better now than it did a couple years ago.