• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Best cactus for torts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What a nice site. I like to use the spineless opuntia because it's easy to handle.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
What a nice site. I like to use the spineless opuntia because it's easy to handle.
Ok thank you!
Is there anything i need to know about feeding it?
I read somewhere that you can only feed the young pads, is that correct?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have recently learned just the opposite. The older pads are better tortoise food. Because I have so many small tortoises, I peel the cactus with a potato peeler, then cut it into bite-sized pieces. Of course, the Aldabran tortoises can eat the pads with no human intervention.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
We have recently learned just the opposite. The older pads are better tortoise food. Because I have so many small tortoises, I peel the cactus with a potato peeler, then cut it into bite-sized pieces. Of course, the Aldabran tortoises can eat the pads with no human intervention.
I'd probably have to peel it for Spud as he's only tiny.