Best Breeder

Haselwood1912

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Clarita, Califronia
Hey there I was looking into getting a redfoot tortoise hatchling and wanted to find an affordable breeder that can also help with the tortoise I may ended up purchasing. I have a friend that looked for his bearded dragon on a forum and found a awesome breeder that check in with him on how the bearded dragon was doing and how to husband him … I was hoping to have the same luck for my future redfoot. Just to note I do live in California... If you guys have a recommendation I am all ears!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey there I was looking into getting a redfoot tortoise hatchling and wanted to find an affordable breeder that can also help with the tortoise I may ended up purchasing. I have a friend that looked for his bearded dragon on a forum and found a awesome breeder that check in with him on how the bearded dragon was doing and how to husband him … I was hoping to have the same luck for my future redfoot. Just to note I do live in California... If you guys have a recommendation I am all ears!
Checkout Tortstork or Southern Reptiles.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Before you get a redfoot, double check that you can meet the environmental requirements of an adult where you live. I seem to remember @Tom saying he likes redfoots and would like to work with them, but keeping them in the desert conditions in his part of southern California isn't really practical.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HI! I'm also in SCV! We're neighbors!

@Pastel Tortie is right. Our climate is about as wrong as you can get for a RF. It will be fine as a baby, but once it outgrows its indoor closed chamber baby enclosure, it won't do well here. I've seen this over and over again all over SoCal, but especially up here where we are since its so dry all the time. There used to be member here down in OC who spent many thousands of dollars and thousands of hours modifying his yard to keep RFs with a water fall, rain curtain, pond and stream and an extensive misting and humidifying systems, but he's no longer around. Most of the breeders around here don't have much success with them and report that "they just don't do well here".

There are many other species that do great here though. Leopards, Sulcatas, radiata, platynota, Russians, Hermanni, Desert tortoises, greeks, etc...

I have platynota about ready for sale right now. Sudan Sulcatas too.

Feel free to message me here on the forum or ask questions here on your thread. :)