Best bedding for a Juvie Sulcata, and a couple of other newbie questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
Hello all, new owner of a Juvie sulcata, approxoimately 7 years old, 8 inches long, want to set him up with an inside home, for now that is going to be a 30 gal tank, I will work on the ouside home and a bigger inside home real quick, but this is what I have for the next couple of weeks, and it is a heck of lot bigger than the plastic bin he has been living in for the last 7 years. Wondering what the best bedding would be. I used to have boxers and found that they liked regular old hardwood mulch the best. I assume that may not be the proper choice for the sulcata. Just got this guy yesterday and am heading to the pet store to day to pick up some supplies. Below is what I am getting for the short term. Any other suggestions would be appriciated.

Bedding (need suggestions)
Heat/Uv lamp
Calcium suppliment. Repti cal? is that acceptable.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Hi Brian,
Welcome to the forum, it is nice to see someone else from PA.

Some of the most common substrates are coconut coir (some of us mix that w/playsand) and cypress mulch. You want something that you can moisten. Personally, I use a mixture of coir and cypress mulch. I dump a pitcher of water in it twice a week and mix it up to keep the humidity up.

Check out the enclosures section for housing ideas, there are some simple and cost efficient designs that would be great for your size sullie. For example:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-14680.html

I use repti cal w/out D3, and that seems to be a popular choice on the forum.I also use a MVB bulb (for the life of me can't remember what brand at the moment, maybe TRex).

Good luck building your new sully homes! Make sure you post some pictures :)

Riperoo

5 Year Member
Hey, thanks Bethany, why do you use the repti cal with out the d3? I would think that the vitamin d would be benificial. And I am thinking cypress mulch is the way to go. Thanks for the link, that looks like a great quick cheap starter home. I have a an old HUGE rabbit shed that I am going to convert for a longer term outside home but that is going to take a little bit, I am definitely going to use the kiddie pool option as a short term excersize area. Thanks for posting that!!

chadk

10 Year Member!
As long as your tort gets UVB (natural fron the Sun, or from a UVB type bulb), your tort will not need the D3 to help process the calcium. In fact, if you use D3 AND provide plenty of UVB exposure, you risk an overdose which can be deadly.

Bottom line:

Use D3 only if you do NOT use a good source of UVB. And use it sparingly.

Do NOT use D3 if you have an outdoor pen and\or a good source of UVB.

If you need more info on what UVB is, just let us know.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
chadk said:
As long as your tort gets UVB (natural fron the Sun, or from a UVB type bulb), your tort will not need the D3 to help process the calcium. In fact, if you use D3 AND provide plenty of UVB exposure, you risk an overdose which can be deadly.

Bottom line:

Use D3 only if you do NOT use a good source of UVB. And use it sparingly.

Do NOT use D3 if you have an outdoor pen and\or a good source of UVB.

If you need more info on what UVB is, just let us know.

Thanks Chad, seeing as this guy has been pretty abused, and I have to assume that he has not been getting his fair share of UVB, would it be advisable to put him in the D3, even for a short time. Or should I just stick to the light and the outdoor area? Thanks for your input.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Welcome to the forum. Pet stores are pretty limited in their usefulness for tortoise supplies. You'll probably have better luck at the hardware store AND save a lot of money too. About the only thing you'll need from a pet store is your UV bulb.

Here's an example of a cheap, easy indoor set-up:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13375.html?highlight=basic+enclosure

Glad to hear your tortoise is in better hands, but 30 gallons is way too small for a tortoise that size, especially a sulcata. He's about ready for a room size enclosure or at least a 4x8' tortoise table for indoors. Outdoor housing in a large yard would be better, but that will be tough in PA for most of the year.

Since he will be indoors most of the year, I recommend you get a Mercury Vapor Bulb, like the TRex Active UV Heat bulbs. I think the smallest size these come in is 100 watts and that will be tough to use in a 30gal without heating up the whole tank.

I agree with Chad on the D3. You could use a little during the winter, but if you get sunshine the rest of the year, I'd skip it.

Keep the questions coming. Tortoise knowledge is constantly changing and advancing, so there is lots of new info out there. Good luck.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have used Eco Earth for my Sulcata substrate and holds the moisture. I have heard on this site that the majority do use cypress mulch.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom, and there is no doubt in my mind that the 30 gal is way too small, it will be very temporary, couple/few weeks. It was definitely better that what the poor dude has been living in, about a 24 by 24 plastic bin no bedding, no soaking in water and diet of nothing but romaine lettuce. He will have a nice out side area for the summer and by winter I will have something adequate for him. The 30 gal tank is just a short term quick fix. And I will get the Repti cal with out the D3. Thanks for the input, and I will be all over this forum, what a great place!

Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Riperoo said:
Thanks Tom, and there is no doubt in my mind that the 30 gal is way too small, it will be very temporary, couple/few weeks. It was definitely better that what the poor dude has been living in, about a 24 by 24 plastic bin no bedding, no soaking in water and diet of nothing but romaine lettuce. He will have a nice out side area for the summer and by winter I will have something adequate for him. The 30 gal tank is just a short term quick fix. And I will get the Repti cal with out the D3. Thanks for the input, and I will be all over this forum, what a great place!

Thanks again!

Glad to help. Hope we can all help you more. And thanks for rescuing this little guy.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
probably you've read all over the forum that cypress mulch is what everyone uses, and i agree. i shortly just changed to using it from the eco earth and i couldnt be happier. my sulcatas seem to be getting better footing when moving, and the humidity is more constant with the cypress mulch. the eco earth also got too dusty for me and led to eye problems with mine. IMO, id buy cypress mulch.

Status
Not open for further replies.