Best Age for Outdoor Enclosure

OMary

Location (City and/or State)
Moscow, ID
I have been reading through the archives, and I read that hatchlings shouldn't get more than 1-2 hours daily of outdoor living, because it is difficult to create an ideal environment. What about yearlings? I have a Hermann's who is 100 g and another not quite 40 g. I was planning on having them out 8+ hours a day this summer. Should I not do this? Or is the larger one okay, but not the smaller one? @Tom, I believe it was your advice on the hatchlings that I was reading. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep hatchlings in large plastic tubs. When the weather if finally optimal for baby tortoises, I'll carry their tub outside and leave them in it. Then I bring it back inside in the evening. Sometimes it's a bit too heavy, for instance, the Christmas tree storage bin that's about 4' long. In that case, I have a bin set up exactly like the indoor bin and put the babies in it outside during the day and bring them back inside at night.

I have to say, my "hatchlings" are usually a year old before I do this.

OMary

Moscow, ID
Thanks, @Yvonne G! And do you think I don't need to worry about them not being in 70% humidity all day? That is what I am concerned about after reading Tom's post about hatchlings. I have a kiddie plastic swimming pool setup with dirt, plants, etc. as well as a screen cover.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's very hot here, so I don't have to worry about cold/humid. My babies hiding places are stuffed with moist sphagnum moss.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:)

Where do you live? And what is the weather like there? I live in Jordan (the Middle East), in a very dry climate. Therefore, I have to watch out as far as humidity is concerned. I soak OLI (my beloved tort) :<3: at least twice daily, and I spray his enclosure with water to keep it humid.;)

Please post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been reading through the archives, and I read that hatchlings shouldn't get more than 1-2 hours daily of outdoor living, because it is difficult to create an ideal environment. What about yearlings? I have a Hermann's who is 100 g and another not quite 40 g. I was planning on having them out 8+ hours a day this summer. Should I not do this? Or is the larger one okay, but not the smaller one? @Tom, I believe it was your advice on the hatchlings that I was reading. Thanks!

Admittedly, I have not raised any hermanni hatchlings since the time I started using my humid/hydrated methods. But the results have been the same for the half dozen species I have used these methods with. I see no reason why it would be any different with hermanni.

I would be comfortable leaving the 100 gram baby out for 3-4 hours in nice weather and on damp substrate. I wouldn't leave the 40 gram one out more than a couple of hours. Both would get a soak on the way back in.

Babies just do better inside. Things are more stable and every species I've done this with simply shows more health, appetite, vigor and growth when all else is the same.

And yes, that humidity is important. I would not want a baby outside in a hot dry enclosure for 8 hours. There are breeders here on this forum that do that and I'm constantly answering questions from their customers about why their tortoise is not growing and then eventually dies.

OMary

Moscow, ID
Thank you @Tom. I did recently have a hatchling never thrive and pass. She was never quite right from the beginning. They were raised in AZ. Luckily these other 2 are doing well, but I always keep indoor humidity around 70%. I will limit their outdoor time as you suggest.

@Gillian Moore I am in northern Idaho of the US. Winters are wet, but the summers are very dry. Here is a picture of their outdoor area (without the lid).

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22