1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Best “companion” for lonely male?

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by ClydeSheldon, Dec 3, 2019 at 5:24 PM.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. ClydeSheldon

ClydeSheldon New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Maine
    Hi all,

Clyde is a 33 year old redfoot who has always had a very active libido! He prefers shoes, unfortunately.

Has anyone discovered good substitutes for their males? It would be great to have a dedicated “toy” for him so my shoes are spared. Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks!!
  2. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I had a Male that I had to rehome for that same reason.
    I gave him a ball that was about 12" and he pushed it around trying to mount it.
    I'm not sure if the activity was helpful or not. But it DID make him forget the ladles until I found him a new home.
    Otherwise....Make a gigantic outdoors enclosure and give him 3 females and lots of plants and pots as barriers.
    In my experiences with overly amorous males....Once they become addicted. They don't settle back down again.
    Luckily only about 1 in 5 act that way.
    ( Also from my first hand experiences only)
    I thought about a cement or resin garden tortoise statue?..... But I never gave that a try.
  3. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    Why not just give him the shoe? If he likes it, what's the harm if it's an old shoe you can spare? Aw. Poor old guy.:(;)
    Beasty_Artemis likes this.