Berts Indoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Its been about a month since I got bert. He is a hatchling sulcata and has grown over 20 grams since I got him. Here are some pics of his enclosure. Maybe some of you can use some of my ideas or can provide me with some changes.

The eclosure is 8 feet long by two feel wide with a 2'x4' and 2'x3' plexiglass lids attached by hinges. There is also a 4' shop light with two full specturm UVA bulbs in it. On the far right is a 160 watt Mega Ray bulb that sits on 1/2'' wire cloth. The bulb is 19 inches from the substrate and provides ~ 105 degree basing area. In the middle of the enclsure I have a 100 watt CHE that is on 24/7. It is attached to a thermostat that keeps it in the low 80. I also have two 70 watt incandesent bulbs that come on during the day to provide some extra light and heat. Since the enclosure is so long, I had to take 3 pics and try to align them together. You get the idea.

34np7hl.jpg

This is the basking area with a hide. I took this pic through the plexiglass lid which is a little dirty atm.

k39onp.jpg

This is a view from the far end of the enclosure. All the little white dots are seed I just started growing. I have three patches going; crimson clover, chia, and tortoise grazing mix from Carolina Pet Supply.

3stpc.jpg

This is a second hide at the far end that Bert sleeps in. It has a waterproof heat mat from Big apple Herp in it under the moist substrate. The mat is on a thermostat set to 83 degrees on the pad. This keeps Bert warm and humid while he sleeps at night.

2j1ucew.jpg

And finally, a picture of Bert. You can see how much he has grown in just one month. When I got him, the pink dots on his back were just one dot. Since I got him he has 3-4 perfectly smooth growth rings. Thanks to 70-80% humidity and 3-5 shell sprayings daily. (Thanks Tom)

2cxursz.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
WOW! First of all that is one spoiled tort! And he looks fantastic!
You are doing a great job with him :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Looks good Bert must be one happy tort :D what are you using for substrate is that just soil?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've done a wonderful job on the enclosure.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Looks good Bert must be one happy tort :D what are you using for substrate is that just soil?

Substrate is eco earth. Helps keep it nice and humid.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
That enclosure is definitely a good one! Bert must be real happy to have an owner like you.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
What a cutie! Do your pants just grow in the eco earth under the MVBs?

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
I was going to ask the same question. How do the plants like the eco earth? They seem to be pretty happy.

Wonderful enclosure!

ekm5015

5 Year Member
abra said:
What a cutie! Do your pants just grow in the eco earth under the MVBs?

The two large plants are in 4'' pots burried in the eco earth. The light from the 4' flourecent daylight bulb is what keeps them growing. I think an MVB might kill plants because of the heat it puts off. The clovers, chia, and grass that I just planted are growing directly in the eco earth. I just sprinkled the seeds on top and watered.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
How do you like the eco earth? I bought some before but thought it was to fine and was worried about impaction so I went with cypress :D

Status
Not open for further replies.