Berry Treats and question on food

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Hello Everybody,
I just wanted to share a picture of my Eastern Box turtle Noel enjoying a couple of ripe Blueberries I gave her as a treat recently. The only thing she loves more than fruit is anything that wiggles but I guess that is to be expected.
full

When I feed her worms (this next picture was after eating several superworms) she always gets really excited and runs up to the front of her cage waiting for more. Breaks my heart to only feed her a couple at a time.

I do also have a question though, she is 4 years old, how often should I be feeding her? Right now I feed her once every two days alternating protein based foods (crickets, supers, nightcrawlers, horned worms, silk worms, etc) and a mix of grated carrots, bel peppers, zoo med forest turtle food, lettuce. When I give her the the veggie mix she gets the whole bowl but only eats a small portion, when I feed her the worms or crickets I only give her a couple as I want her to eat more greens. She weighs 263g right now.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harlingen, TX
I would switch out the carrots for steamed pumpkin or squash, instead of just lettuce offer mixed greens like the spring mix at the grocery store, add zucchini/summer squash, a very small amount of green beans/peas/corn, and a small amount of fruit. I like to use strawberries since they have a strong scent. I put this all in the food processor and then offer it to my turtles. If they don't eat enough of it, then I offer it again the next feeding. Then the next feeding after that is when I will offer worms. I don't really use any prepared turtle pellets. Every two days is good for your turtle. I feed my adults twice a week and they are healthy and heavy.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Thank you, her lettuce is spring mix (sometimes, other times it ends up being kale or other greens, really depends on what I buy for my russian). I'll certainly add zuchini the next time and see if I can get squash as well. With offer it again you mean that you prepare a new batch of food though right?

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Yes, I'll offer fresh food the next time. I make a whole bunch of food and then freeze it in covered ice cube trays so I can just thaw small portions when needed.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
This EBT's look just mesmerizes me. What a cool looking Eastern, love it!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
She's beautiful and you have done a great job with her. I have seen some that people raised that would make you cry. Your's is perfect. I usually feed my juvie's a mix of greens, fruit, soaked turtle brittle, cooked sweet potato and cookd carrot. Everything is chopped up into tiny pieces, and I change the mix each week. In the afternoon after I spray their garden, I offer worms or buggie things. I also add ground venison to the mix, which they love. I still feed every day at 4 years of age. My garden is large and I usually see them eating the ripe figs every day in the Summer . Just what I do...not written in stone. Keep up the good work....she is beautiful.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Just wanted to add.....I love the name (I have a female called Nolie) and I like how you half buried the hides.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
She is the most beautiful thing, such a good personality as well. Every time I walk past she comes right up to the front, not scared of my hand at all. My Russian will chase my hand away and bite it if she gets the chance but not this girl

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Thank you, even though I must say that I have only had her for half a year, so her perfect growth is due to the previous owners care. I think I will offer her more food. I also went out to buy some zucchini today (as was suggested above). I think I'll do, 2 days in a row veggies and greens, then 1 day of protein, then one day to digest.