Benny's new outdoor enclosure begins

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463953600.579051.jpg
Started a new enclosure for Benny using a puppy pen that's going to be mounted to the fence and staked to the ground. He doesn't stay out overnight, so this is only a day time pen. He enjoyed a few hours pacing it today.
We can't keep him happy inside. He's become unreasonable about his enclosure table and keeps rampaging all his decorations and climbing everything to tray and get out. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463953792.875861.jpg
I have carex, several sedums and dandelions growing in the enclosure outside, but you can't see it in the pic

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
A tortoise has to go where a tortoise has to go. :tort:

Not easy for the tortoise owner...

Let us know how the puppy pen works!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He'll be much happier outside...but I worry that your neighbors can see him through the fence.

Nicky Wilson

Looks like you're having the same issue that I have with my Henry. He just wants out!!!!

Today we started be build him an outdoor enclosure. I think he will love it.

Be concern I have though with yours is that it doesn't look like the top is covered? I've heard so many stories about birds swooping down and foxes/cats getting into the enclosures and running off with our little babies. We have put chicken wire over the top of ours just incase. This means I can leave him alone whilst I am in the house without fear that something will nab him. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A lovely "home" if so I may call it. :)

I have always said that flats/apartments, you name it, are just not the right place for pets. I live in a flat and whenever the weather permits I take OLI (my beloved Greek tort) out for a "walk" in the sun. Believe me I can tell that he's much happier outside. After all these cute little animals live i the wild where they roam around without "red lights."

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
He'll be much happier outside...but I worry that your neighbors can see him through the fence.
All my neighbours and all the kids in the neighbourhood know and love Benny. He's a popular tortoise around here. The fence neighbour actually helps with him when I'm away. He used to own two very large tortoises, Sulcatas I think, when he was back home
Benny won't be outside unless we are home though hopefully discouraging any thoughts of a snatch and run
We do have a neighbourhood cat who is a concern. Kingston is sweet, but he loves to hunt, so I will be adding to the top of the pen to prevent his entry, especially since he used Benny's "hut" the wood box, as his winter sleeping box. He thinks it's his now

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Need some help folks. I need some suggestions for some full sun loving tortoise safe vines. The grapes hate the enclosure. It's two hot and the leaves keep getting burned. Is there another option for some kind of climbing vine?
I've added hens n chicks, a variety of sedum, a nice big shady bush and hosta to the enclosure and Benny seems to enjoy being out there. I just want to add the vine mostly for aesthetics

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467024304.165473.jpg
Benny has been inside again. We have an ant infestation in my area and his enclosure has red and black ants in it. Ugh. Have tried everything and can't seem to kill the nuisances.
Anyone got advice for these horrid little invaders in ontario?
I also have a mole under his house - should I be concerned with that since its nocturnal and Benny is only outside during the day?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
View attachment 178352
Benny has been inside again. We have an ant infestation in my area and his enclosure has red and black ants in it. Ugh. Have tried everything and can't seem to kill the nuisances.
Anyone got advice for these horrid little invaders in ontario?
I also have a mole under his house - should I be concerned with that since its nocturnal and Benny is only outside during the day?
Food grade diatomaceous earth. Dried molasses is also supposed to work. Pool grade diatomaceous earth works great, but I wouldn't put it in with your little guy.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and source the food grade "dia-going to have to write that down" earth and get a load of it into the enclosure and my gardens

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
After all, torts live in the wild. Therefore it is expected that they'd be happier outside no matter how big an indoor enclosure is.