Behavior change...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Well, I feel like a newbie all over again.

My hubby and I were well used to Elsa's behaviors when she was in her winter indoor enclosure and when she was in her outside enclosure (10 ft x 8 ft) last summer. But now that she's in her new big outdoor enclosure (20 ft x 18 ft) she's acting differently and we're not sure what to think.

The first week she was in the new big enclosure she wandered all over- exploring, resting, finding/creating new hides etc. She wasn't eating the food we put out for her, but we saw her eating grass and weeds several times- and she ate a hibiscus flower while it was still attached to its low-hanging branch. So we weren't worried because we figured she was foraging, which we WANTED because it is more natural.

The change is that most of Sunday and all of Monday, she just stayed burrowed under a bunch of mulch on the sunny side of her enclosure. We live in south Louisiana and our high temps were in the low to mid 80s, so I doubt she was cold. I I got a little nervous, so we tried soaking her today in water that was at ambient temperature. She surprised us by tipping over her wash basin and walking off! She later ate some cucumber (which we gave her for its water content) and some spring mix.

Am I being too nervous if she chooses to sleep for 2 days instead of walking around?
Was she maybe more active than usual that first week because she was getting to know her new digs and is now settling in?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I wonder if this is just some type of adjustment period. Interesting after she so happily explored.
It will be interesting to see what others say.
I have a feeling Elsa is just fine.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think you are being a nervous nellie ( no offense to the nellies out there) I have noticed over the years that a period of readjustment is normal, Tortoises don't really like change.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks bunches!!! That's what I was hoping!!! :) I HAPPILY own up to being a Nervous Nellie! We "Nellies" wouldn't worry if we didn't care! :D