Beginner Russian Tortoise Care

I am currently saving funds for a Russian tortoise and had a few questions to make sure I can make the best home for him. I've been researching but cannot find set answers for my questions. I have plans to build a tortoise table out of wood (my dad is amazing at building things similar to the table) and maybe line the bottom piece of plywood with plexiglass. Would this be better for cleaning and preventing rotting of the wood? For cleaning I've heard if you spot clean you can keep the same substrate for up to a year but that sounds crazy also it would same a bunch of money! Also I was thinking for substrate I could use some type of topsoil sand mixture but I've heard it could be an irritant so maybe coco coir would be the way to go? Also looking into heat lamps and UVB; I am trying to decide between a bulb with heat and UVB or two different bulbs. To keep the humidity at a good percentage should I ever spray the substrate to keep it moist or leave it as is (my room is around 30% humidity by itself). I have also heard about keeping Timothy hay in my hide box but I've also heard that it could also be an irritant so I'm not sure but I want to provide something to burrow in. For food for my little buddy I was planning on planting some dandelions and broadleaf testudo but I can't base his diet off of that and need to provide other options. For other kinds of tortoises I've heard collards, turnip greens, etc. impact their calcium intake but is this the same for Russians? Speaking of calcium should I dust greens with calcium powder for reptiles before feeding or is that not needed? If so how much to I need to like every meal or once a week? Also going with food how many times should I feed and how much, and after a certain amount of time do you have to take the food out to limit eating? For soaking tortoises should I do it everyday or once a week? And also I was looking into options for natural sunlight to keep him healthy and happy and was thinking about taking him for 'walks', is this a good idea to take him out at such a young age (hatchling) or will it be good for him? This is all I have to ask and I hope you guys can help me out!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You'll find what you need to know in the russian tortoise care sheet which is at the top of the russian tortoise section of the forum.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Welcome to TFO! Have a great stay! You can also look and desert tort guides on the diet & food section. Best wishes for your tort:D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Great job building a table, those are best. Problem with plexiglass is that if your tort thinks he spies a way out, he will go for it. He may injure himself trying to crawl out through the 'clear space' :(
Yes, pick out poop/urates... it can last a long time! Don't get sand. Coco coir is best. Don't keep it too wet, or else you'll find little substrate in it one day. Yes, misting is good, russians need around 50% all the time.
MVBs are really good, only require on fixture... Don't get a coil UVB if you thinks about two bulbs. Tube lights are great, and are easily found.
Hay can be an irritant, just lump more coir or dirt in there than other places so that is it nice and deep.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Here's for your diet, everything in there :D
Hatchling is little young yet, let him grow up a bit before taking him out. Few months should do the trick.NAtural sunlight and fresh air is wonderful for his health, and makes for a happy tort! If you have back yard, when he grows older (year or so) you could also build an outdoor yard for him to roam around in unsupervised.
Good luck with you tort!!!

Camryn

Tampa, FL
I don't like to keep the substrate moist cause it sticks to your hands, and the tortoise ALL OVER HIM :D