Beginner questions. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Bear with me please ;)
Are radish leaves, red leaf lettuce, and cilantro safe for a leo tort?
And should I be cutting all the various greens into tiny bite sized pieces?
Also, should a baby torts shell be pefectly rounded? Or is lopsiding normal?

thank you thank you :D
Pete

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises are sort of folded...not quite in half...inside the egg. Sometimes it takes them a couple weeks maybe a month, to straighten out and become more symmetrical.

You can feed cilantro, parsley, etc. occasionally, but I wouldn't use it more than once a month.

The other greens are fine, along with other dark, leafy greens like escarole, endive, turnip greens, etc.

I cut the greens up very small for the babies because they don't have a lot of biting power and sometimes get a long string of something that that can't bite off and keep swallowing and swallowing with some still sticking out the mouth. I worry about that, so I cut it up small.

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Yourlocalpoet said:
All fine as part of a varied diet, chopped up yes for a baby. What do you mean by lopsided? Can you post a photo?

I will post a pic tomorrow, I dont want to mess with him too much, as this is his first day home. I guess I was under the impression that the shell should be a perfect half circle, not lopsided- but my tort's shell isn't perfectly round- its raised higher on one side.
Pete

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
South Dakota
emysemys said:
Baby tortoises are sort of folded...not quite in half...inside the egg. Sometimes it takes them a couple weeks maybe a month, to straighten out and become more symmetrical.

You can feed cilantro, parsley, etc. occasionally, but I wouldn't use it more than once a month.

The other greens are fine, along with other dark, leafy greens like escarole, endive, turnip greens, etc.

I cut the greens up very small for the babies because they don't have a lot of biting power and sometimes get a long string of something that that can't bite off and keep swallowing and swallowing with some still sticking out the mouth. I worry about that, so I cut it up small.

Thank you Yvonne, that was quite helpful ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.