Beginner Mistakes - commentary

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Absolutely agree- I've had a breeder or two recommend temps too hot, and I always do my research to verify those recommendations because I've lost a tortoise to overly hot temps. Something I'd rather not own up to, and a lesson I will not *ever* repeat, it was heartbreaking, accidental, and could have been prevented by an inexpensive thermostat, more routine temp gun checking, and some more education on my part. Simple fixes. Chalk it up to mistakes made in my 20's, but when another creature's life is at stake.... anyway. This resonated with me, I'm still very sensitive to the dire, utterly heartbreaking consequences of incorrect temperature.

The guilt I feel over my past mistakes of ignorance are what drive me to make threads like this one. I want to help other people avoid making the same mistakes that I have made.

Sounds like you understand completely.

The Carter's

Baton Rouge
Great post... wish I had come across this years ago... could have saved a lot of time and prevented a few mistakes..
If only this info could go with every one sold found given or however new owners become new owners...

Meag

Los Angeles, California, USA
I just joined this forum and decided to start investigating some of the threads. I'm so happy I stumbled upon this first! I currently don't have a water dish in my baby Hermann's enclosure because I thought that soaking it once or twice a day would be enough, and I was worried about leaving it unattended. I will definitely be adding a water dish to ensure my tortoise is adequately hydrated.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just joined this forum and decided to start investigating some of the threads. I'm so happy I stumbled upon this first! I currently don't have a water dish in my baby Hermann's enclosure because I thought that soaking it once or twice a day would be enough, and I was worried about leaving it unattended. I will definitely be adding a water dish to ensure my tortoise is adequately hydrated.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

I use terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate for water and for food too. I use various sizes for the tortoises as they grow.

Ketta

Venezuela
RE: Beginner Mistakes

yep,, ditto,, great info! and I really stress the part of a safe enclosure.. NO free roaming.. We are human and get distraced too easily and one wanders off.. sometimes never to be found... or found by the dog.. :-(.....
In my case I let him out cause I have no dog or cat. Only 1 lovebird. But always supervising him. Yup great info @Tom thanks God I read this and other thread about why is not good to have 2 tortoises together. It's similar with lovebirds only 2 males can be together male and female too but if female wants to mate and male is too young she can kill him. Just like 2 females can kill each other...

Last edited:

Slowhand1964

Temecula, California
They tend to run away and hide in the blink of an eye. Its freaky. They can be sitting there for an hour, and then when you aren't paying close enough attention, they are simply gone. Sometimes it happens so fast that it might seem like they vanished into thin air. Really they can just move faster than we think and they are very good at hiding.

The bottom line is: Put them in an appropriate enclosure, and then you won't lose them.

Sage advice. Our goal was to allow Henry the run of the yard, but quickly he got himself into some pickles, the most recent wedged between a ladder and a Hoe. In the garden he got entangled in a Zucchini plant and then he got wedged between the rabbit hutch and a brick wall.. He does not go around objects, rather through them. Muy importeante! He will climb yet is not very nimble, or intelligent in that regard. We are taking measures now to mitigate potential hazards and enclose him in that area. Just trying to find the perfect balance between human and tortoise happiness in our yard....

As my mother used to say: Curiosity killed the cat, and DT are very curious

Great tip, Sir....thanks

Last edited:

Barbecue

Myrtle Pt., Oregon
(Moderator note: I've moved all the commentary off Tom's thread and onto here. To read Tom's thread go here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

Tom-OUTSTANDING!

In my opinion this document should be the first thing that opens when a new member signs on to TFO. If only we could post this outside of every pet shop in America too!

There is little to nothing that could be added to this "tortoise bill of captive care rights". But I will say that one thing that I find disturbing that takes place most often with beginners, but even with keepers of a few years or more experience is pointed out in #6: They often maintain their tortoises far too hot night and day. Along with this comes excessive dryness, dehydration, poor food processing and more.
I cannot get Toms Thread to download to be able to read common mistakes
from Barbecue

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
still 404 not found
Would sure love to b able to read it. Seems everyone that has has enjoyed the article
from Barbecue
This thread is ancient. 10 years old. I incorporated most of these beginner mistakes into the care sheets. What species have you got?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She lives in a guinea pig habitetate. Two of them that i have but together
I don't keep that species, so I don't have a care sheet for them, but this one is good:

Barbecue

Myrtle Pt., Oregon
what about the UVA, UVB, colored lights of Plant lights threw out the Habitat for Redfoot Tort to even out lighting for large habitat
Barbie