Beginner/Hermann’s Baby Tortoise ?

AdamK

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
I’m new to this Forum and I’m from Dallas, TX. I’ll be getting my baby Hermann’s Tortoise ? on Friday! I’m looking forward getting beneficial information from this reliable source!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
feed weeds, keep high humidity and keep him/her Very warm
Humidity 70-80
Temperature 75-97
you can feed Grocery Store bought Veggies but feed a variety.
keep us updated if you would mind showing us a picture of the enclosure.

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
Hello,
Thank you so much for the reply! I will definitely keep you update! Will post pics soon!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome!

Here are some links to threads that you will want to read. They have info that's up to date and accurate. Follow the advice in these and you won't go wrong.

Where are you getting your baby?

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
Hi, and welcome!

Here are some links to threads that you will want to read. They have info that's up to date and accurate. Follow the advice in these and you won't go wrong.

Where are you getting your baby?

From Arizona Tortoise Compound. Heard they are the best...

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
From Arizona Tortoise Compound. Heard they are the best...
Andrew at ATC is a fantastic keeper and even better person! You won’t be disappointed in a Hermann’s tort. Have you gotten your enclosure set up yet?
I’d recommend you cruise through the threads especially the ones tagged above. You can also check out Garden State Tortoises and Herminni Haven for more solid information. Chris who runs both is probably the most well known and respected Hermann’s person out there.
Congrats on your tort and keep us posted!!

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
Andrew at ATC is a fantastic keeper and even better person! You won’t be disappointed in a Hermann’s tort. Have you gotten your enclosure set up yet?
I’d recommend you cruise through the threads especially the ones tagged above. You can also check out Garden State Tortoises and Herminni Haven for more solid information. Chris who runs both is probably the most well known and respected Hermann’s person out there.
Congrats on your tort and keep us posted!!
I spoke with Andrew from ATC over the phone and via email and he was very helpful! Also, read almost everything on the Herminni Haven site - very informative. We have the enclosure all set up, also ordered outside Tortoise pen.
Thank your for your message and all the links provided!

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
Glad you’re on here and have all your stuff lined up! Sounds like you’re doing good and he/she will have a great home.

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
feed weeds, keep high humidity and keep him/her Very warm
Humidity 70-80
Temperature 75-97
you can feed Grocery Store bought Veggies but feed a variety.
keep us updated if you would mind showing us a picture of the enclosure.
Is it safe to keep the baby in an outside enclosure in a shaded area in North Texas with 92F? We built a wooden enclosure with top covered with chicken wire. We cover a half with a towel and it has moist moss in there with shallow water dish and some hiding log. I saw you mentioned to keep him very warm, but isn’t it too hot? he seems to like it eating clover and is active, but the temps scare me a bit. Please advise. Thank you!

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
Is it safe to keep the baby in an outside enclosure in a shaded area in North Texas with 92F? We built a wooden enclosure with top covered with chicken wire. We cover a half with a towel and it has moist moss in there with shallow water dish and some hiding log. I saw you mentioned to keep him very warm, but isn’t it too hot? he seems to like it eating clover and is active, but the temps scare me a bit. Please advise. Thank you!

Attachments

• D934C3F2-BF63-417B-BF32-AF56502A463C.jpeg
    D934C3F2-BF63-417B-BF32-AF56502A463C.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 7

Happytort27

CA
As long as he has plenty of shade, access to fresh water, and places to hide, he’ll be fine. In addition, make sure you soak him every day for 15 - 20 minutes to prevent dehydration. If you’re saying the basking spot is 92 degrees, then it’s okay. Also, the warm side should be around 75 - 80 degrees (if I’m not mistaken) and it shouldn't drop below 60 degrees. Your tortoise is beautiful. He looks like he’s in good hands.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I won’t recommend it, it’s a good Temperate but he humidity isn’t high enough. I’ll start pyraminding keep him inside in warm and humid enclosure.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
As long as he has plenty of shade, access to fresh water, and places to hide, he’ll be fine. In addition, make sure you soak him every day for 15 - 20 minutes to prevent dehydration. If you’re saying the basking spot is 92 degrees, then it’s okay. Also, the warm side should be around 75 - 80 degrees (if I’m not mistaken) and it shouldn't drop below 60 degrees. Your tortoise is beautiful. He looks like he’s in good hands.
We don’t advise keeping babies outside...

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
We don’t advise keeping babies outside...
Thank you for the advise. I was coming from Hermanni Haven where he talks about outside being the most beneficial for tortoises.
I will try to keep him inside as much as possible then. He just seems to enjoy the grass, nibbling on clover. I was also misting the outside enclosure to raise the humidity and his moss was also wet to help the humidity.

Thank you!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Thank you for the advise. I was coming from Hermanni Haven where he talks about outside being the most beneficial for tortoises.
I will try to keep him inside as much as possible then. He just seems to enjoy the grass, nibbling on clover. I was also misting the outside enclosure to raise the humidity and his moss was also wet to help the humidity.

Thank you!
Yes I agree they definitely Benefit from being outside. BUT when a tortoise is in a young age in Captivity they can’t really be outside it doesn’t replicate.
When a baby it’s kept indoor we have control over humidity, temperature, diet, ect.