Begging for food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Anyone else's tort beg for food?

Lately in the evenings Trevor has been waiting on his slate tile where he gets fed, looking up. I take it to mean he's hungry. I usually feed him in the morning, and then if he's still awake when I get home from work, I'll give him a little snack. I try not to feed him right before bed because it keeps him up later, and sometimes then he won't eat his breakfast the next day. It's hard not to give in and give him a little snack though, since he's a growing hatchling. He's just been ravenous lately though! He gets a lot of activity and doesn't seem to be getting overweight, so I've been letting him eat what he wants within limits.

He's been known to wait there for quite a while before we walk by and notice. He gets a lot of attention. :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale also waits by his food dish. Today it was quite a while till he got fed because I had to unthaw his elk meat first. I gave him a bit and he almost finished, but still left just a little behind. I think they must have growing spurts just like babies or children when they do need more food then before. Candy

ladystarlarose

5 Year Member
Actually, Sam's habit is that first thing in the morning when I check in on him he's often literally sitting on top of his food dish. It's the funniest thing & I have even tried to get a picture of him in it but as soon as he sees me he makes a dash towards me so I can take him with me to the kitchen to get his greens...
Although, come to think of it, he has NEVER left any food uneaten within the time that I immediately give it to him. Only the timothy hay he'll leave to snack on later, but greens- forget it, he chows it down right away like nobody's business ;)

desertsss

5 Year Member
LOL, Twitch and Gordo are stationed right next to my computer table, so they will come to the corner of the tank almost on top of eachother and just stare at me. :rolleyes:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermy does that too :D
I find him so adorable. He just puts his 2 arms in his food dish and he waits until we see him waiting for us :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
In the wild torts forage in the mornings and in the evenings so this behavior you are seeing is really normal-well as far as wanting to eat twice a day. :) If I am up before their lights go on most everyone is still sleeping but as soon as the lights go on they are waiting by the food area. If not when they see me they come running. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Are his lights on later? Try adjusting his times if you dont want to feed him.. OR since he is a growing baby.. feed him. Its spring time. and in the wild this is when they would have more food available...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't mind feeding him. Like it actually. :) His lights are about 6am-8pm. We wakes around 8-9am, and goes in his burrow for the night anywhere from 5-8pm. I agree he's probably growing. I may have to just feed twice a day as a habit, but we've mostly been doing that anyways (just more food in the am).

Seems like I'm not alone in this though. I think it's a cute behavior. He knows who feeds him!

reptilematt

5 Year Member
My Golden falls asleep in her dish with neck out, legs stretched, and eyes shut when I don't feed her "on schedule." My Russian doesn't wait by the dish, but the Greek will definitely let you know she's hungry! Either she'll be in her dish, arms in the dish, or she'll bang the heck out of the walls to make noise if no one is in the room. When she sees you walk in, immediately she hustles to the food dish. Very smart creature.

Status
Not open for further replies.