Bedding

ClarenceTort

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City
What type of bedding does everyone recommend. Right now he’s using the light color snake bedding which on the bag said it’s
Ok for tortoise but curious is there something better. I like that one for now because it’s light color and I’ve been watching g to see if he poops.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Many on the forum love orchid bark as a substrate. I personally use coconut coir and cypress mulch, even though it tends to get messy...

ClarenceTort

Kansas City
Many on the forum love orchid bark as a substrate. I personally use coconut coir and cypress mulch, even though it tends to get messy...

I just ordered the eco earth coconut coir. How often do you change it. I heard if you spot clean poop daily you can change monthly.

ClarenceTort

Kansas City
I just put the coconut coir in his habitat and he climbed into his water and now it’s all dirty. How do you keep the water from getting the coco coir in it.

ClarenceTort

Kansas City

Ugh I just put in the coconut coir it’s horrible. He’s dirty everything is dirty. I’m going to get the mulch.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just put the coconut coir in his habitat and he climbed into his water and now it’s all dirty. How do you keep the water from getting the coco coir in it.

Take a large amount of it, put it in a bucket, and thoroughly saturate the coir. Once soaked, thoroughly strain the coir in a strainer. Then place the coir into your enclosure, pat it down all around. Torts are messy by nature, coir in the water doesnt bother the tort. Rinse morning/evening if it bothers you. Good luck.

ClarenceTort

Kansas City
Take a large amount of it, put it in a bucket, and thoroughly saturate the coir. Once soaked, thoroughly strain the coir in a strainer. Then place the coir into your enclosure, pat it down all around. Torts are messy by nature, coir in the water doesnt bother the tort. Rinse morning/evening if it bothers you. Good luck.

Is the orchid bark better

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is the orchid bark better

I would say orchid bark and cypress mulch are both less messy. Cypress can be a bit rough to start, but our Sully doesnt seem to care. Ive used them all - often combining coir, peat moss, orchid bark, and cypress mulch. Take some out, refresh with new.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For me it's a seasonal thing. I don't change out substrate until the tortoises move outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Coco coir is too messy for adult Russians. I like it for the little babies but it needs to be a thick layer and I thoroughly hand pack it down. I use it for my tarantulas too.

Fine grade orchid bark works much better for adult sized Russians. I buy it in bulk from a local garden center. About $11 for a 2.0 cu/ ft. bag of it.
Orchid Bark.JPG