Bedding on top of rocks?

Rocky219

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello, the grass in my yard gets fertilizer applied often. The grass also always seems to be in the shade so I put my tortoises outdoor enclosure on top of some rocks. I got some orchid bark to put on top of the rocks as bedding. It is very deep and my 3-4 year old Hermann Torotise burrows quite a bit. Should I be worried about him borrowing down and eating some of the rocks? The bedding is about 3 or 4 inches deep and the rocks are small enough for him to eat. Any responses are much appreciated

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello, the grass in my yard gets fertilizer applied often. The grass also always seems to be in the shade so I put my tortoises outdoor enclosure on top of some rocks. I got some orchid bark to put on top of the rocks as bedding. It is very deep and my 3-4 year old Hermann Torotise burrows quite a bit. Should I be worried about him borrowing down and eating some of the rocks? The bedding is about 3 or 4 inches deep and the rocks are small enough for him to eat. Any responses are much appreciated
Can you post some pictures of what you are describing, and your tortoise?

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Can you post some pictures of what you are describing, and your tortoise?
Thank you for responding. Here you go. Let me know if you need additional photos.

Attachments

• 20210623_164023.jpg
    20210623_164023.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210623_164034.jpg
    20210623_164034.jpg
    858.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210623_164238.jpg
    20210623_164238.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210623_164256.jpg
    20210623_164256.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, this is a problem. Both the rocks and the fertilizer are dangerous to your tortoise.

If its just plain fertilizer, it should be harmless to your tortoise one it is all soaked in. The tortoise should not have direct access to the actual fertilizer product, but once its all soaked in and and dissipated, and the lawn has been throughly drenched by rain or sprinklers several times, it should be fine.

If your yard is not suitable, build an above ground enclosure in an area where chemicals will not be applied.

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Yes, this is a problem. Both the rocks and the fertilizer are dangerous to your tortoise.

If its just plain fertilizer, it should be harmless to your tortoise one it is all soaked in. The tortoise should not have direct access to the actual fertilizer product, but once its all soaked in and and dissipated, and the lawn has been throughly drenched by rain or sprinklers several times, it should be fine.

If your yard is not suitable, build an above ground enclosure in an area where chemicals will not be applied.
Ok thank you! I will move the enclosure. One more thing, is it okay to use grass as the bedding? Or should I stick with orchid bark?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thank you! I will move the enclosure. One more thing, is it okay to use grass as the bedding? Or should I stick with orchid bark?
For outdoor enclosures I just use the ground, be it grass or dirt. There just can't be any chemicals in the area of the enclosures.