Bedding advice

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sutherlin, Oregon
I have 2 ornates, 1 eastern, and 2 Russian torts all sharing a 100gl tank. I will attach a photo. Our vet says they are okay to be living together, but my concern is their bedding. They currently have organic potting soil as their bedding. We have tried Eco earth dirt which I like, coconut husk, and multiple soils. They looove to burrow and I would like to stay with something they can burrow in. My concern is each soil I use, I get bugs they multiple by dozens in he soil with them and I am afraid they will get parasites and die. I have had an ornate pass away in the past a few years ago due to parasites from bugs in my dirt. Any suggestions on bedding I can use? Vet suggests reptile carpet and moss on one end for them to burrow in. My "kids" hate reptile carpet. We've tried it before and they seem stressed because they can't burrow. I have seen Google suggestions for alfalfa pellets. My concern is they won't get much traction when walking and pellets may get lodged in their rear legs where they tuck their knees away. I need bedding that will help keep moisture well. Any ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455239493.311937.jpgSuggestions? I haven't done anything yet but want what's safest for them and something preferably where they can burrow. Mind you the photo I am posting, I have added appropriate UVB and UVA lighting since. Also was suggested that I cover the tank to keep moisture and temperature insulated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your vet is all wrong and way off base. In the first place, the box turtles require a totally different environment than the Russian. You need to set the box turtles up in a moist, forest-like environment with plants and humidity. I like to use orchid bark mixed 50/50 with potting soil.

The Russian comes from a very dry and barren expanse called the steppe. He would not thrive in the forest-like environment of the box turtles.

Also, that aquarium is not big enough for 3 adult box turtles and 2 Russian tortoises. Your 3 box turtles might be ok in there, but the Russians need at least 4'x8' as they're hard-wired to do a lot of roaming and wandering.

But, aside from all that negativity, which I hope you take as helpful criticism, I want to welcome you to the Forum! We have lots of good info for you to read and learn. Check out our Russian and box turtle sections.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I agree with Yvonne's assessments and would like to add a few of my own thoughts.

Species should not be mixed, and your animals need much more space. Russians also have an entirely different diet than box turtles too.

About the bugs in your substrate: Those are most likely harmless detrivores. There are several species, but all of them are harmless and not parasitic. They come from the environment and thrive in the warm moist environment that you provide for you animals. To get rid of them you'll need to bake, boil, freeze or replace your substrate every two weeks or so. Personally, I just ignore them.

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
Thank you guys for the knowledge. I will acquire the advice and make the adaptations correct for these children of mine. The Russian tortoises are still yet very small. Roughly two year old. I have a 40gl tank, will that be okay for them until they get older? My plan is for next year about this time, I will have an indoor/outdoor Enclosed area for them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
IMO.
Two Russians housed together are a recipe for disaster.
They will need to be housed singly.
Sorry for all of this bad news.
But once you get things sorted, everyone will be just fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
:)I/We don't want to scare you away with negativity.
Please don't get the wrong impression. We all love our tortoises too and are here to share our experiences and know how.

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
The two Russians are siblings and have never had issues being raised together. Thank you for all the advice.