Beauty from within? A pyramiding query

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I will graduate to the green house thing as they get bigger, I think it's a great idea. Thanks.

Can you (if you have the time and don't mind) comment on the idea of keeping them in a heated/warm room/closet in their own plastic covered containers with deep substrate that is damp at night? No food no water bowls etc.

They have lots to do during the day, good areas to cover, plants/weeds and funs stuff to feed on, and plenty of sun if they want it. Soaked daily too.
I see nothing wrong with bringing an outside tortoise indoors to the closet for the night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We know that starting a tortoise's life in an 80%+ humid environment, re @Tom 's findings, virtually guarantees smooth growth.

That would be a constant environment where a tortoise remains relatively damp (for want of a better word) on the outside.

But what about a tortoise kept in a dry environment, but soaked daily for an hour? A more intense shot of 'internal' hydration so to speak without the humidity.

Could making sure a tortoise is well hydrated and has had his/her fill of water daily be enough to produce smooth growth?

Is it internal hydration or their external environment that is the main variable in avoiding a pyramiding tortoise.
High humidity does not 100% guarantee a smooth tortoise. Some, for unknown reasons will still pyramid, leopards are a good one to pyramid slightly even in high humidity.
However, it is 100% guarantee that they will pyramid without it.