Beating the heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I'm curious to see some ideas that others have to give their tortoises some relief from the heat of summer. Here is what I have going on with my Indian Stars.

Their pen is in the northwest corner of my lot, so they get the brunt of the afternoon heat.

011.jpg

Their favorite spot is right smack in the middle. In between all the fountain grass plants in the middle is a cave burried in dirt.

022.jpg

Here's the shot from behind, you can see it a lot better. So far it's worked great, but we havn't had any measurable rainfall since I made this, so we'll see how well the dirt stays on it in the rain. The walls and top are made out of those concrete top peices, not sure what they're called, but you can see them in the next picture. to the side, you can see a big peice of flagstone, it provides them a little more room. I can go into a little more detail on how I made them secure and and all that if anyone wants.

015.jpg

This is how well it's working.

I believe it was 104 out when I took this picture, here is the ground temperature just outside the cave.

035.jpg

And I actually pointed this at the shell of one of the tortoises inside.

036.jpg

Another idea I had got from a few other people and it's something I used back in my box turtle days, is the sprinkler box. It works well but I hate how it uglies up my pen. I'm hoping those elephant food plants growing next to it get big fast and cover it up. I imagine I will have more problems when the monsoon comes and the torts inside get flooded out.

037.jpg

The tortoises like it.

009.jpg

Bye Bye

010.jpg

Another hide using the concrete top pieces under a shade clothe.

019.jpg

Then I have a drinking pool, I'm going to move it cuz uglies things up too.

018.jpg

Other than those the plants are placed in a way so they won't have to walk to far to get out of the direct sunlight. I hope they will take off and grow faster soon. The fountain grass is really great stuff for shading tortoises.

021.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
My torties live indoors, and I only let them out in the morning and/or evening, which is when turtles are active in the wild anyway, precisely to beat the heat. In order to save on electrical bills, I do not leave the A/C on for them when I'm away at work, but rather just leave the windows open at night to let some cold in, and then leave the windows open during the day to let the heat out. Naturally, I always make sure the hot-spot stays around 95 F. On comfortable days, the ambient temperature in here stays in the mid- to high-70's (about 74-78 F), which I think is about perfect. On very hot days, the temperature may climb into the low- to mid-80's (about 82-86 F). Is that okay?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice, Neal. I really like the block walls around your perimeter. Lasts forever, huh? Your pens are impressive. Do the torts dig down into the dirt inside their caves? And what a good idea using the pvc for supporting the shade cloth!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Where did you get that temp gadget. I think I need one of those. My enclosure is under a nice shady tree and they have several hides to go in an out of. I am working on a mister system for them as soon as I figure which faucet in my backyard, I am going to sacrifice.

Did I read that right 174 degrees? Wow and I thought it was hot here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really great post Neal. I looked into the sprinkler boxes too and decided to build my own. That is what led me to all the underground stuff that I've been doing lately.

Other than that I use mudholes, and sprinklers. I also try to build my pens around multiple sides of a structure so there is always some shade. Bushy plants help too.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Nice set up..were gonna get a misting system installed, these 100 degree are getting brutal...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All of my tortoise enclosures have underground tunnels made from corrugated pvc drainage pipe. The temperatures inside of them are cool to the touch and the tortoises often come out with moisture on them! They spend hot days, cool overcast days and often times, nights in the tunnels.

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01648.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01652.jpg

DSC01645.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
GBtortoises said:
All of my tortoise enclosures have underground tunnels made from corrugated pvc drainage pipe. The temperatures inside of them are cool to the touch and the tortoises often come out with moisture on them! They spend hot days, cool overcast days and often times, nights in the tunnels.

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01648.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01652.jpg

DSC01645.jpg

That is very cool..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
GeoTerraTestudo said:
My torties live indoors, and I only let them out in the morning and/or evening, which is when turtles are active in the wild anyway, precisely to beat the heat. In order to save on electrical bills, I do not leave the A/C on for them when I'm away at work, but rather just leave the windows open at night to let some cold in, and then leave the windows open during the day to let the heat out. Naturally, I always make sure the hot-spot stays around 95 F. On comfortable days, the ambient temperature in here stays in the mid- to high-70's (about 74-78 F), which I think is about perfect. On very hot days, the temperature may climb into the low- to mid-80's (about 82-86 F). Is that okay?

I know very very little about the heat requirements of Russians. I think it's generally agreed that tortoises need access to temperatures somewhere in the high 80's in order to digest their food. So if your hotspot is 95, you should be golden.

emysemys said:
Do the torts dig down into the dirt inside their caves?

No, I have never really seen an indian star dig. I think they might if the temperatures inside the caves got too warm, but I think it's pretty comfortable for them so they don't really have a need to dig.

DixieParadise said:
Where did you get that temp gadget. I think I need one of those. My enclosure is under a nice shady tree and they have several hides to go in an out of. I am working on a mister system for them as soon as I figure which faucet in my backyard, I am going to sacrifice.

Did I read that right 174 degrees? Wow and I thought it was hot here.

The temp gun is from Lowe's. About $40 if I remember correctly.

Yup, 174 degrees and we were below average on the day I took this photo.

Thanks everyone.

I like the drainage pipe idea, I may throw out the sprinkler box and use that instead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Me too. Great post GB. Of course out here in the southwest there would just be plain dirt covering the pipe and none of that gorgeous green stuff you have there.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The grass would be more tolerable if the tortoises would trim it themselves. They pay no attention to it so instead I have to go in with a weed trimmer about once a month and trim most of it to ground level. If not, it gets too thick and too tall and remains too damp at ground level.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice photos Neal. It is great seeing how Arizonan's keep torts in this heat. Amazing how hot the ground gets, that is good to know. We just built a shade cloth frame for over the baby enclosure. I need to get one of those gadgets that you have to get an accurate measurement in and out of the sun. Thanks for sharing with us all!

Lohan

5 Year Member
I live in Egypt and put my tort outside around 12 noon, it was too hot and she was in a pretty bad way when I took her to bring her in, I was shocked. She is an Egyptian Tort - please what is the max temp that is bearable for torts, and at what temp is it dangerous. Please help as I need her to get as much natural light as poss but the temps often hit 47 - 50 degrees +!

Thanks
:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The forecast says that we will be at 113 degrees today. I ran home at lunch to check on the tortoises, of course all were fine, so I grabbed my temp gun and took some readings. The coolest spot was the sprinkler box at 99, the cave in the corner above ground was 105 and the underground cave was 110.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
FYI - Today is a pretty hot day, so I just measured the temperature on my porch, which doubles as a fenced-in tortoise run when weather permits. Here's what I found:

Temperature in the shade - 81 Fahrenheit
Temperature in the sun - Off the scale at well over 120 Fahrenheit

Moral of the story: I'm glad there is shade, because otherwise that area would be unusable as a tortoise run.

Status
Not open for further replies.