Bearded Dragons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So what will stop making his poop smell like death?

Will the roaches help?

and we had a photo session just now...

check us out.... (still learning the trick to the best shots)

woody001.jpg

woody002.jpg

woody004.jpg

woody005.jpg

woody007.jpg

that site looks to complicated for me Right now.. maybe later..

I dont really mind the crickets, i touch them all day long....

can i just buy the roaches at a local place?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
LOL! Death, huh?? It's been a LOONG time since I've used crix, so I'm not qualified to comment on that... But I feel like, yeah, his poo would smell less with roaches than crickets, simply because crickets smell like "death" themselves (whereas roaches do not, thank goodness)!

I've gotten to the point where I can pick up silk worms and butter worms from behind (especially when the butter worms are fresh from the fridge so still nice and dormant), but if even they try to get their feet (and head--terrified of bites, lol) near my fingers, they WILL get dropped. Anything else does NOT come near my hand. The last time I picked up a super worm, it bit me. (The curse of having a puppy around--he "liberated" the super worms all over the living room last summer, and I didn't have any tongs or containers at hand when I found one digging under the carpet.) And I'm convinced horn worms are big enough to bite... Haha.

terracolson said:
that site looks to complicated for me Right now.. maybe later..

I dont really mind the crickets, i touch them all day long....

can i just buy the roaches at a local place?

If there's a store by you that actually sells them, by all means... The trouble is, they're usually insanely expensive at pet stores and you might have trouble getting them small enough for your baby.

There's a store around here (aka, in the Seattle area, 3 hours north of me, lol) that sells Discoid roaches for almost $1 apiece! That's more expensive than mail-ordering and feeding strictly silk worms and other such pricey, soft-bodied fare. Eek!

Another thing about crickets that's horrible is they have a habit of being exceptionally parasite infested. Man Ray got pinworms from the evil things once... Yuck! They aren't as nutritional as roaches, either, and don't have as much "meat" to them... Just stuff to keep in mind, of course--it's not just for the keeper's sanity that roaches are so highly regarded... ;) lol

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
what about the dead worms in the exo terra can and buying that vibrating thing that makes the food wiggly?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
terracolson said:
what about the dead worms in the exo terra can and buying that vibrating thing that makes the food wiggly?

From what I've read, those bugs loses a LOT of nutrition during the freeze drying process. Insects are, IMO, the kind of prey that needs to be fed live. The canned crap just isn't worth the hassle or the cost..

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
You know I thought the same thing about the stinky poo...wow I even kinda gagged. Oh if their poo isn't gonna stink with roaches...oh man payday can't get here fast enough!

Ewww Man Ray got pinworms from those filthy things yuck...you keep making the case for switching sound better and better. Terra may go the all roach route here real quick:):)

Holy...$1 a roach? Oh that's just crazy! I saw them online different places and they are just not cheap! All this boils down to breeding! My pet stores don't sell roaches here...apparently I live in PO DUNK VILLE!!:):):)I'm lucky that I get some worms!

I thought about that Exo Terra vivicator thing for their veggies, cuz they were ignoring them...then suddenly they started eating them so I passed on it. (The beardies are little turds they really only want things that move!) Cheapest place I found it was LLLreptile for $19.99 everywhere else it is $25 and up...even on ebay. I guess there is no way to get rid of live stuff when you have these guys...oh well they are worth this gross stuff.

That makes sense that a superworm would bite...you know they fight to the very end! I put them in the Red Eared Sliders tank which they love, but those worms even try running back up the tongs because they hang on to the grooves inside the tongs. So now you said you got bit....oh I'll never touch them~~~ ever!

Hey Floof ever try the Goliath/green juicy hornworms? I found a site that will sell you the kit to raise them (www.greenlakeshornworms.com) I might try a batch. (Watched youtube videos and I guess beardies love them juicy suckers!)

Terra those new pics you posted are amazing...absolutely perfect! Woody is a beautiful beardie!

I had my baby beardie out tonight sleeping between the cleavage (warm in there...LOLOLOL!) while I watched grey's anatomy...just sunk down in there and out like a light. They are funny how they just spread out when they sleep. They look so flat and comfy!

Oh Floof have you tried SFB Healthy herp dragon food instant meal (you add water)? (Comes in large plastic jar or small single cups.) My beardies love it...all the veggies,fruits,petals, and grasshopper pieces. I bought jars for all the critters tortoise and box turtle types...everyone loves them.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hahaha! I know what you mean by "po dunk"! We're lucky the local department store carries crickets in their pet aisle... Otherwise, there would be absolutely NO feeder insects within 30 miles of my entire town!!! LOL!

Yep! Chomped down right on the skin next to my fingernail. OUCH! Evil little critters. That must be why the dogs didn't eat them... (Yes... I witnessed the majority of my family's 5 dogs try to eat one of those "liberated" mealworms... They all spit it out and gave up after a couple tries. Stupid dogs... lol)

Yeah, I've tried the hornworms... Man Ray LOVES the things! He doesn't get them very often--he'd get addicted! Actually, for a while (back when I was only feeding silkworms for a staple), hornworms were almost the only thing he would take, unless he got REALLY hungry. Little snot! I order mine (as well as my silkworms and butterworms) from Mulberryfarms.com. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. :)

Never heard of the SFB stuff... I'm generally not one for prepared food for herps, anyway, since they're more often than not total crap. That sounds really interesting, though--I just might have to look it up!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
ok.. So i am hoping a local roach breeder can help me out.. I got some one in mind.....

I just dont konw if i can do it all on my own....

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
Has anyone ever tried to feed roaches to a veiled chameleon? I have already started my colony of roaches for my frilled dragon and when the chameleon gets big enough ( he is only about 3 months now) I would rather him eat the roaches instead of crickets.

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
Well thanks anyway :) I many try him on them when he gets older. I would really like to get rid of crickets all together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Motara said:
Has anyone ever tried to feed roaches to a veiled chameleon? I have already started my colony of roaches for my frilled dragon and when the chameleon gets big enough ( he is only about 3 months now) I would rather him eat the roaches instead of crickets.

Yes. They love them. All insectivores do. I'd feed him small ones now, as they are much more nutritious than crix. Lots of variety is especially important for calyptratus.

Welcome to the forum.

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
Thanks! I am glad to have found this forum. Next babies that I see I will try him on some.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I got my roaches and I am sooo surprised...they aren't that gross!!! I really hate those vile crickets 100 times more. I only fed a few because I want the colony to grow, but I put about 5 in a dish and my Mushu ate them in seconds. Must be like potato chips for them!!! I just shook the egg crate and the roaches fell in the dish. Terra...they don't jump!!!!! Did you decide what you want to do? It's only been a few days ...I wish they would populate overnight so I could get away from crickets! I use a rubber cabinet liner for the bottom of the dragon cage and I pulled it out to scrub it and those damn crickets had been chewing on it...it's plastic/foam!!!! (Yep...Vile!!!)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
hey ebay addict, i got 100 bids out right now.. whats your most?

so anyway, i went for worms, i got a bunch of phoenix, horn and super worms..

i like the phoenix worms the best i think....

roaches, well i could try them, but i dont have a place to keep them... the worms go in the cabniet

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I know!!! Aren't they fantastic? So glad to hear you've got your colony going now! :)

Terra, do you have a garage or anywhere like that that you could stick them? Even if your garage/basement/whatever gets very cold, they should be fine with a heat pad stuck under the tub...

Status
Not open for further replies.