Bearded Dragon Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Hi, I just have a few questions:

1. How can I tell how old my Bearded Dragon is? I got her from Petco, but she was the biggest one there and shes not one of the tiny ones.

2. What is the best bedding to use right now. I heard to use slate tile? Where would I get that from? I'm using the carpet from petsmart, but I don't like it and prefer not to use it. It is messy and the crickets hide under it so that she can't get to them.

3. Should I be bathing her once a week? She drinks out of her water bowl and doesn't go to the bathroom in it. I also spray her down with a water bottle, but I'm not sure she really likes it.

4. If I take her outside to play, what should I take her out in? I took her out in my room yesterday thinking she would just lay on me on my bed, but she was hopping around and wanted to play, but she is so small it makes me nervous she is going to escape or run away.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
1. You can't.
2. Everyone has their own preferences. I always used sani-chips and liked it. Never had a problem. Sometimes I used paper towels since they were easy to replace every time they were soiled. I don't like any kind of sand for them.
3. Won't hurt. Neither will twice a week.
4. Understand that reptiles don't "play". Use a wire cage of some sort, or you can use one of those lizard leash harness things. Be careful that your lizard does not overheat in the sun outside. Always have lots of shade and keep a close eye on the temps. Use your heat gun early and often. Use a sunning spot that will get MORE in the shade if you forget about the lizard or get distracted for a period of time.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
What else do you suggest besides sani-chips? And do you suggest that for the bearded dragon I have? This is how big she is ImageUploadedByTortForum1378266410.987935.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My personal preference is sand. Many people don't like it but it's cheap, works well and doesn't smell. If you're concerned about ingestion, feed liver feeders in a separate container and you should be fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lindseyjordan10 said:
What else do you suggest besides sani-chips? And do you suggest that for the bearded dragon I have? This is how big she is

Aspen bedding works too.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
I wouldn't mind using sand, but everything I have read says not to use sand for little bearded dragons only adults so i'm nervous about that. I don't want to have to feed her a certain food just so that if she ingests it she will be ok. I thought sand was supposed to only be used for adults?

Tom,

What do you think about the sand for the younger bearded dragons? Is it ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I won't use sand for any age. I know too many vets and have seen too many impaction x-rays. I know a lot of people use it and don't experience a problem, but I see the ones that DO experience a problem.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Ok so i will either go with the aspen bedding or sani chips for him right now. I can not stand the carpet. Do you think the crickets will be able to hide in this though? That is what I worry about and the worms

My main concern is the crickets hiding under the bedding

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes they will. That's why jtrux suggested feeding them their live stuff in another container with no substrate. You can get an 18 gallon tub from the hardware store for about $6. Plop the lizard in and then plop the crix, roaches or worms in. When he's all done eating you can put him back in his home. I always used terra cotta saucers for the greens. Helps contain it and keep it out of the substrate.

You know not to leave crickets or mealworms over night right? They can chew on your little lizard. Roaches don't do this, BTW.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
I didn't realize he said to feed them in a separate container, but I did know that and I will just need to start doing that and then I wont have a problem. I will switch to the aspen or sani chips. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I use slate tile for my beardie's enclosure. It's awesome! Easy to clean, you won't lose feeders, can't be ingested, it's reusable and cheap! It retains a little warmth, too. I don't think I would ever use any loose substrate with a beardie. They lick everything.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Kameo37 said:
I use slate tile for my beardie's enclosure. It's awesome! Easy to clean, you won't lose feeders, can't be ingested, it's reusable and cheap! It retains a little warmth, too. I don't think I would ever use any loose substrate with a beardie. They lick everything.

Where do you get the slate tile from?

I heard the slate tile is the best, but i'm not sure where to get it and how to get it to the size of my enclosure

Kameo37

5 Year Member
You can get it at home depot, lowes or any flooring store. Depending on your enclosure size, you might be able to fit it without cutting. Or you can piece together smaller pieces of tile. I happened to have a tile cutter. You might be able to score, tap and break it...but I'm not sure about that method for slate.

Now that I think about it, I think my husband did use the score, tap and break method.

Status
Not open for further replies.