Beak trimming for a newbie?

AzurexDream

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Good afternoon all! I've had my boy for a few years now but recently realized his beak was getting really long. I had never realized I needed to be trimming it and now I feel terrible so I bought clippers and the like for it but whenever I bring him out of his tank whether it's for a bath or just some time out he doesn't sit still. Food doesn't seem to distract or incentivize him. Does anyone have tips on how to get him to settle long enough to trim it? I don't want to hurt him when I'm trying to help him and I'm not comfortable even trying to clip anything if he can't sit still.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Can you post a picture? If it's not inferring with eating etc, you could try to let it wear down naturally, feeding whole food items or offering a cuttle bone.

Also, using a dremel and grinding may be easier/less intimidating than trying to use clippers

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hi, welcome. You could start feeding your tortoise on a piece of slate or feed out of a terra cotta dish. As your tortoise eats it will trim the beak automatically.