Beak on a possible new tort????

Wartortle

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (Simi Valley)
I'm possibly getting a female Russian tortoise tomorrow that had been housed in poor conditions. As soon as I get her, she will be dewormed and checked for health. However, she already has an overgrown beak and I was wondering if I should pay to get her beak trimmed or just let her wear it down on a stone naturally? Suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
I just put food on a slate rock and when they eat off it the scrape a little bit. Also, mine likes to naw on his log hide and I think it's for that reason.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you are confident then try to get a large part of that point filed off...then as shared, a piece of slate as a feeding spot will allow the tort to maintain the beak....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The trick is going to be to get that tort to stretch his head out far and long enough for you to get a firm/gently hold on it---index and thumb fingers are good to place just behind the head where it attaches to the neck....I would also already have the filer ready to go and able to be done with the other hand....to me this would be the better option, as long as you have a steady hand....:D

Wartortle

Southern California (Simi Valley)
ascott said:
The trick is going to be to get that tort to stretch his head out far and long enough for you to get a firm/gently hold on it---index and thumb fingers are good to place just behind the head where it attaches to the neck....I would also already have the filer ready to go and able to be done with the other hand....to me this would be the better option, as long as you have a steady hand....:D

Hmmmm sounds like I'll need some help with this. Might be easier as a two person job! I'll post some photos tomorrow after I get her maybe :) thanks for the help

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Though I've personally never done this, a dremal tool is the recommendation for bringing a beak that is over grown down to the proper length. All my russians graze on stone yet some still end up with longer beaks that I need to file on to get right.
While the tortoise has it's head out, slip your first two fingers on either side of the neck, just behind the head to prevent pulling the head back in. Practice this before so you have the idea. Then, file or grind away until it's right. Take baby steps so you don't remove too much.
Then feed on a slate or sandstone to help the tortoise itself maintain the correct length. Good luck. Or, you could pay someone (a vet) to do it, providing they have the experience.