Beak help

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone. Long time tortoise owner. I currently have a large male sulcata. He is over 120 pounds and his beak is quite long and is growing out. I have been trying to trim it for months. Vet tried and failed, I’ve tried everything. I had three guys trying to hold him and we couldn’t get him still enough to trim it. Any tricks here? Feeding him cactus on concrete. He is eating fine, just know this is something that needs to be addressed.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Pictures please

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone. Long time tortoise owner. I currently have a large male sulcata. He is over 120 pounds and his beak is quite long and is growing out. I have been trying to trim it for months. Vet tried and failed, I’ve tried everything. I had three guys trying to hold him and we couldn’t get him still enough to trim it. Any tricks here? Feeding him cactus on concrete. He is eating fine, just know this is something that needs to be addressed.
We need to see what we're talking about to make any sort of recommendation.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Here are some. He is very timid around his face (mostly because I’m trying to get to this)

962DCCBA-07B0-4B75-9E85-FB0D702A292D.jpeg

71654F71-A13A-438C-B24E-83840237080D.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Turn a five gallon bucket upside down and set him on top of it. One person make sure he doesn't wiggle off and fall. The other person can wait in front with a Dremel or some diagonal pliers to do the deed. Usually being elevated that way will make them stick their head out. I've done several this way.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Turn a five gallon bucket upside down and set him on top of it. One person make sure he doesn't wiggle off and fall. The other person can wait in front with a Dremel or some diagonal pliers to do the deed. Usually being elevated that way will make them stick their head out. I've done several this way.

interesting. I’ve tried the dremel and he freaked out and didn’t come out for a day. Diagonal pliers is interesting. He used to let me pet his head now he won’t let me come close to his face :(

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Just tried this method and it worked! Thank you all! He has a nice new smile now.