Be careful of this plant

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus EU
20210212_105608.jpg
Screenshot_20210212-174122_The Tortoise Table.jpg

This weed grows everywhere and I had no idea it is so toxic. Thankfully I never fed it to the torts because it stings and makes you itchy so I avoid it when I am picking thisle, mallow and other weeds to feed them.
I will search the yard and enclosures tomorrow carefully and remove any sign of it. I will hunt it to extinction like nixon hunted marijuana. The war on drugs is nothing compared to the crusade Im preparing ?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Are you sure that’s what it is? If it stings (a lot) it’s probably stinging nettle; safe in moderation.

They look very similar but only one stings.

My Russian doesn’t care for it but humans can eat it like any other greens you would cook; once you drop it in boiling water for a minute the pricklies go away.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
Are you sure that’s what it is? If it stings (a lot) it’s probably stinging nettle; safe in moderation.

They look very similar but only one stings.

My Russian doesn’t care for it but humans can eat it like any other greens you would cook; once you drop it in boiling water for a minute the pricklies go away.
Dont know how I missed your comment... I would expect the stinging type to equally as toxic but apparently according to tort table it's not. Thanks for letting me know!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
To be clear, I find the science in the Tortoise Table’s warning on hemp nettle fairly suspect. Toxic to what? Mammals? That’s usually not relevant but it doesn’t even go so far as to say mammals. All the other dead nettles are fine and this one is not? Doesn’t make sense to me.

But of course you should never feed anything you’re not comfortable with.