Bath time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy1113

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just got a Russian tort and I wanted to know the best way to give her a bath. She is 2 yrs old and is 4-5 inches. Thank you!!!!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Amy!

From my experience with my African, I make him a warm shallow bath in my sink {he is just a lil' guy} when it's chilly outside. If it's a warm day, then he goes in a tub, again with warm water covering the bottom of his shell.

After he defecates, I will dump the nasty water, and allow him to soak some more..

Anyways, that's my take on the subject; hope it helps!
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Amy, There are a few ideas on this.
1). Forced Soaks: place her in a container large enough she cant get out. Put tepid, (warm but not too warm, like baby bath water temp) in the container until it comes to her chin. (that will be about bridge deep, (where his top shell and bottom shell meet)). Make sure you clean the water when it is soiled. Soaks should be about 20-30 min. If you want to clean her shell use a soft brush, like a toothbrush and water, NO soap. After soak time take her out and dry her, and she will be a nice clean dry. Do not use oils or wax or anything on his shell.
2). Natural soaking: Put a container of water in their pen large enough for the whole tort to get into, but shallow enough to only come up to her chin. If they want they will sit in the water.
3). forced and Natural Soaking: Do number 1 about 2-3 times per week and keep a container of water in her pen for her to do her own soaks.

So now you have to decided how you will do it. Forced Soaks, Natural Soaks , or a combo of the two.

Often this will depend on the tortoise. I personally do mine like in #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.