Bath/Soak Twice in a row??

TortSpeed

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
Torts drink water when they soak...

When they go to the bathroom in the water can I assume they drank first??

Or should I change it as soon as he goes then let him soak?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Torts drink water when they soak...

When they go to the bathroom in the water can I assume they drank first??

Or should I change it as soon as he goes then let him soak?

For me, it depends how quickly it happens ... if it's in the first minute or two, I'd change the water ... I like to let Darwin soak for 20-30 minutes.

Jamie

TortSpeed

Miami, Fl
Thanks for the quick response...

This is new to me but in the last 2-3 baths he went to the bathroom about 5 minutes after being in the water... and I think I saw him soaking it up after. Why would that be?!?!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think the warm water stimulates elimination, and at the same time absorbs into their skin and possibly reminds them that they're thirsty.

My Darwin is tiny, tends to poop tidily, and I soak him in a 12" underplate, so I normally just ladle out the poop and flush it while allowing him to continue his bath undisturbed.

Jamie

N

no one

Tortoises that get regulair soaks will get rid of the water they hold in their bodies. And then drink to get fresh available water.
In nature they can hold their water for a long periode of time. Cause there is not always fresh water available.
My Stars do it every time they soak, so every day.
I would soak your Tortoise for at least 30 minutes or more. And change the water when it gets dirty. You want your Tortoise to be healthy. So it takes some work. *glimlach*