basking time

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cape canaveral/cocoa beach florida
hello my name is tim.My question today is should u limit a tortoise's sun bathing time?i leave my uva uvb lights on from 5am till 8pm every day is this to much sun time i heard to much sun can burn them?should i leave my lights on 8 hours and then turn them off?i have a spur thigh

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tim,
I had never heard too much sun can burn them. Heat lamps set too close perhaps. But if your light or the sun is set so that they can get out of it (perhaps a hide) then I wouldn't think there would be a problem. I am no expert but I have read that mimicing our daylight is always a good thing and I have also read that 10 to 14 hours daily is normal. I use the florecent 10 bulb and leave it on most days for about 12 hours 6am to 6 pm. If it is cloudy I might cut the time by half or more. But I have never had a problem with my greeks. And the yearling DT I have now seem to be doing fine on that schedule.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
cape canaveral/cocoa beach florida
Crazy1 said:
Tim,
I had never heard too much sun can burn them. Heat lamps set too close perhaps. But if your light or the sun is set so that they can get out of it (perhaps a hide) then I wouldn't think there would be a problem. I am no expert but I have read that mimicing our daylight is always a good thing and I have also read that 10 to 14 hours daily is normal. I use the florecent 10 bulb and leave it on most days for about 12 hours 6am to 6 pm. If it is cloudy I might cut the time by half or more. But I have never had a problem with my greeks. And the yearling DT I have now seem to be doing fine on that schedule.

thank u for ur thoughts i want to make sure im doing the right thing no matter how dum the question might seem.I have provided clark with a proper hiding log that he frequently visit's threw out the day as he moves in and out of the light.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i keep both my basking lamp and my UV lamp on for 12 hours per day. theres plenty of room for my two hatchlings to bask themselves in they need to, or to cool down

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
i keep my basking and uv light on for 10-12 hours a day.
and i have a hide where the tortoises can walk away and cool down in.

in the summer, when outdoors, i have about 2 or 3 hides scattered around the outdoor enclosure for them to get away from heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.