Basking temperature

idcowden

Location (City and/or State)
Walton-on-Thames
Hi all,

We have 2 female spur-thighed tortoises doing well (9.4cm and 10.3cm, 199gms and 228gms respectively).
The stones that they bask on are usually around 34-35 degrees C.

Is this about right or too hot? They certainly aren't distressed by the head, but I wonder if they need to be a little cooler?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

We have 2 female spur-thighed tortoises doing well (9.4cm and 10.3cm, 199gms and 228gms respectively).
The stones that they bask on are usually around 34-35 degrees C.

Is this about right or too hot? They certainly aren't distressed by the head, but I wonder if they need to be a little cooler?
Hello.

First, they should never live in pairs.

Next, you usually can't tell the sexes at that size, and most of them look female as youngsters.

Finally, you don't need the temp of the basking stone, you need to measure the temp at tortoise height. I use a block of wood or something that is about the same height as the tortoises carapace. Then place a digital thermometer directly under the bulb and let it cook for an hour or more. It should be around 36-37. Adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct temp under it. On a related note, you should be using a flood bulb to spread this heat out over a larger area. No spot bulbs, halogens or MVBs.

More info for your species here:

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
Hello.

First, they should never live in pairs.

Next, you usually can't tell the sexes at that size, and most of them look female as youngsters.

Finally, you don't need the temp of the basking stone, you need to measure the temp at tortoise height. I use a block of wood or something that is about the same height as the tortoises carapace. Then place a digital thermometer directly under the bulb and let it cook for an hour or more. It should be around 36-37. Adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct temp under it. On a related note, you should be using a flood bulb to spread this heat out over a larger area. No spot bulbs, halogens or MVBs.

More info for your species here:
Thanks Tom,

The bulb is an Arcadia D3 UV / Basking flood bulb. I presume if it were too hot they would just move further away.
I have remeasured using your technique and the temp falls into that range nicely.

Iain

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I presume if it were too hot they would just move further away.
No. They won't necessarily. Depends on the time of day, their core temp, ambient temp, etc... Too hot of a basking area can contribute to pyramiding as well.