Basking temp too high?

Jerry's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
MA
I have a six month greek and had a 100 watt mercury vapor bulb that was giving about 93 degree temp under bulb. I thought that might be too low so I got a 160 watt bulb, but now it's registering at 113 degrees right under bulb. Is that now too high? The temps decrease within like an inch from center of bulb on basking spit to about 107 and then less of coirse as it gets further. Was 93 degrees better than 113?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd go back to the 100 watt, or raise the fixture with the 160 watt.

Jerry's Mom

MA
I'd go back to the 100 watt, or raise the fixture with the 160 watt.
Do you think 93 degrees with the 100 watt is enough for basking temp? Or should I maybe try to find a 125 watt?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think 93 degrees with the 100 watt is enough for basking temp? Or should I maybe try to find a 125 watt?
I think 93 is close enough. If you find the tortoise sitting directly under the bulb for hours a day, then you might consider switching to something warmer. Otherwise, I'd leave it.

Jerry's Mom

MA
I think 93 is close enough. If you find the tortoise sitting directly under the bulb for hours a day, then you might consider switching to something warmer. Otherwise, I'd leave it.
Okay, thanks. He doesn't sit directly under it hardly ever, just a bit in the morning. Mostly lays close by. Thanks so much for the quick response!