Basking spot for large turtle tub

Smile

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I plan to move both of my 12 or so inch female red eared sliders (and possibly a third, my 5 or so inch smaller male) into a 150 gallon stock tank. The two girls are currently in a 75 gallon tank and while the size is OK for them, I cannot figure out a way to have them both bask comfortably in such space.

Thus, I want to move them into something bigger where I can possibly build something for them so that they can all three bask comfortably. I plan to put tile on top of whatever material I'll be building the basking platform with so that the light hits it and it gets nice and warm, but what materials can I use to create the basking platform in the first place?

I am not a handy person at all and all I have is a power screwdriver, though I suppose I can purchase some kinds of glue at the hardware store. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Possibly some examples with pictures?

Thanks!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Hello everyone,

I plan to move both of my 12 or so inch female red eared sliders (and possibly a third, my 5 or so inch smaller male) into a 150 gallon stock tank. The two girls are currently in a 75 gallon tank and while the size is OK for them, I cannot figure out a way to have them both bask comfortably in such space.

Thus, I want to move them into something bigger where I can possibly build something for them so that they can all three bask comfortably. I plan to put tile on top of whatever material I'll be building the basking platform with so that the light hits it and it gets nice and warm, but what materials can I use to create the basking platform in the first place?

I am not a handy person at all and all I have is a power screwdriver, though I suppose I can purchase some kinds of glue at the hardware store. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Possibly some examples with pictures?

Thanks!
I used a couple blocks stacked with a piece of slate on top. All purchased from the hardware store. Then for the other basking spot I found 3 logs in my yard and zipped tied them together and sat it on top of some blocks just like I did the slate. IMG_20190812_193357553.jpg

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Build a nesting box. Use a cement tub and make the stand out of 2x2s. That way they have the whole tank to swim in and use 2 zoomed basking docks as ramps.

Smile

5 Year Member
Build a nesting box. Use a cement tub and make the stand out of 2x2s. That way they have the whole tank to swim in and use 2 zoomed basking docks as ramps.

I like this, but I do not have the space for such a large area. I am getting close to buying the stock tank, but I am still not sure what I want to do for the basking. Could I like stack up milk crate and make the basking spot out of that?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
What size stock tank you getting? Depends on the size of the stock tank you buy. You could make the basking island out of PVC. You avoid tannin in the water released from wood. Cinder blocks and milk crates become eyesores over time.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

Once it's built, add artificial grass to the top. You can customize it however you like.

Smile

5 Year Member

Once it's built, add artificial grass to the top. You can customize it however you like.
I'll be doing this and then posting the results here. Also, I'll be getting the 150 gallon stock tank tub.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Good choices. Can't wait to see finish build.

Smile

5 Year Member
Good choices. Can't wait to see finish build.
I have also considered just getting a huge piece of wood so that they can all bask on it happily. If I were to go the PVC and egg crate route, I wouldn't be sure how big to make the platform so that they can all fit on it properly. Any ideas on how I'd be able to prop the wood so that it would be sturdy and they'd be able to use it comfortably without it sinking or floating away?

I will be getting the stock tank for three turtles, one 12" or so female red eared slider, another 4"-5" or so male RES, and a female 12" yellow bellied slider. if I were to go the wood route, it would be the easiest as I can find one that stretches as long as the stock tank and I could just find it in a park.

Please let me know your inputs and thanks a ton for your help!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have also considered just getting a huge piece of wood so that they can all bask on it happily. If I were to go the PVC and egg crate route, I wouldn't be sure how big to make the platform so that they can all fit on it properly. Any ideas on how I'd be able to prop the wood so that it would be sturdy and they'd be able to use it comfortably without it sinking or floating away?

I will be getting the stock tank for three turtles, one 12" or so female red eared slider, another 4"-5" or so male RES, and a female 12" yellow bellied slider. if I were to go the wood route, it would be the easiest as I can find one that stretches as long as the stock tank and I could just find it in a park.

Please let me know your inputs and thanks a ton for your help!
I used the regular red bricks with the holes in them stacked up. Then I used zip ties to secure the wood to the bricks.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
There specific hooks you could screw on to the side of the tank and brace the PVC off of them. As for the wood, since your turts are huge, the log would need to be screwed on or just make sure it's the width and edge it on tight.

Smile

5 Year Member
Hey again guys!

I am almost done setting up the tub, I think you guys will love it! Can't wait to share it with you all.

I am still waiting on a few supplies and one of them is a new water heater since my current one broke a few days ago... just as I was about to upgrade the turtles into a bigger tank.

The tub I have says to only used "caged" heaters and the brand I use is Aqueon, so I was wondering if it would be OK to use it for the tub? I plan on getting the newer 300W one. For anyone that houses their turtles inside tubs, what heaters do you use?

Thanks again guys!