Basking light

Patryk

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hi everyone! I just left to New York for 2 days and I kept the basking light on because I don’t want my tortoise to be cold. I’m really scared the light bulb will catch fire. Is there any chance that will happen or will the basking light just shut off? Cheers!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is there a reason you're worried about a fire? I've never heard of a light bulb just bursting into flames. But if a basking bulb fell into the substrate, it certainly could start a fire. This has happened to members here.

What kind of basking bulb are you using? One like a reptile spot basking bulb? Or an incandescent flood light?

How is the light secured? Hung from a bar or something overhead? A clamp with a dome? A stand of some kind?

Patryk

Chicago
Is there a reason you're worried about a fire? I've never heard of a light bulb just bursting into flames. But if a basking bulb fell into the substrate, it certainly could start a fire. This has happened to members here.

What kind of basking bulb are you using? One like a reptile spot basking bulb? Or an incandescent flood light?

How is the light secured? Hung from a bar or something overhead? A clamp with a dome? A stand of some kind?
It’s hanged from this metal plate there so chance of it falling down I’m just worried if it’s on long it will burst into flames

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It’s hanged from this metal plate there so chance of it falling down I’m just worried if it’s on long it will burst into flames
There's no reason to think it will do that just because it's on longer than usual.

What species of tortoise do you have? How old is it, and how long have you had it?

I'd like to link you to our care sheets. Have you read them yet? Lots of good info in them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Light bulbs are not flammable. Glass and metal.

Why not use a timer? And a heat source controlled by a thermostat? Its not good to leave the light on all the time.

What species have you got? What size?

Patryk

Chicago
There's no reason to think it will do that just because it's on longer than usual.

What species of tortoise do you have? How old is it, and how long have you had it?

I'd like to link you to our care sheets. Have you read them yet? Lots of good info in them.

I have a Russian tortoise. Ive had him for 4 years and I would say he’s 6 years old I’ve never been told how old was he when I got him. That would be nice if you send me the care sheets :)

Patryk

Chicago
Light bulbs are not flammable. Glass and metal.

Why not use a timer? And a heat source controlled by a thermostat? Its not good to leave the light on all the time.

What species have you got? What size?
I have a russion tortoise. I’ve never got a timer because I’ve been all ways been turning the heat off. The size is about 5 niches I would say?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here's an excellent care sheet for Russians, and one that explains heating and lighting.

4 elements of heating: By Tom

There are four elements to heating and lighting:

Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.

Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.

Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.

UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Patryk

Chicago
Here's an excellent care sheet for Russians, and one that explains heating and lighting.

4 elements of heating: By Tom

There are four elements to heating and lighting:

Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.

Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.

Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.

UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Thank you so much!!! This is some really good advice!

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
You really should invest in a timer, I know I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my set up on for days at a time. You can also get an inexpensive camera to monitor your tort while you are away, I have cameras and it gives me great reassurance that I can peek in to make sure no one is flipped over etc. It is also wise to leave a set of keys for a friend or neighbor to pop in in case there is an emergency.