Basking lamp in hot weather

Ribena

Location (City and/or State)
Cardiff UK
Hi I’m from the UK , I have a 5 yr old Russian which I’ve had about 3 mths , he’s spent a good few hours outdoors today but now he’s back in his table , it is also humid where his tortoise table is so my question is can I turn basking lamp off for a while as I’m worried he will overheat ? It is boiling hot today

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi I’m from the UK , I have a 5 yr old Russian which I’ve had about 3 mths , he’s spent a good few hours outdoors today but now he’s back in his table , it is also humid where his tortoise table is so my question is can I turn basking lamp off for a while as I’m worried he will overheat ? It is boiling hot today
yes you can

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A basking light should not affect to total temperature of an open enclosure that drastically. "Boiling Hot" is relative. I see your weather got up to about 80° - 27°C today. My weather is normally mid 90°s (36°C) every day with hot days to 105°. (41°C) I keep my basking lights on, but in a closed chamber I have them on a thermostat to cut off if the temp goes above 95° (35°C) I'm sure your weather is not that warm.

A tortoise benefits from being able to warm their core body temp to around 85° (30°C) and to be able to heat their skin even more for vitamin D3 synthesis. I would keep the basking light on, unless the enclosure temperature a few feet away from the basking light is getting over 35°C.

Ribena

Cardiff UK
Yeah ok maybe not that hot to you as your temps most prob really high but I meant from a human perspective it’s boiling ? We’re not used to such heat in the uk lol , thanks for advice I shall gratefully follow it