Basking Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello All,

Well as you can tell I am new here. I am getting ready for my first tortoise, a baby greek. Anyways, I have been getting ready with all the housing and such. One question I have is regarding basking heat. Right now I have a 60w ceramic heat emitter that is getting the rock to about 91-94 F...give or take. My question is, should I go with a 75w bulb just in case or should this 60w be ok.

Although the little babe will not be outdoor 24/7, I will be bringing him or her out dailey for some play time in the dirt and/or grass.

Bruce87

The smaller bulb is the heat, and that little black rock gets around 93 F is that hot enough for basking?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Ben,
Your new Greek will need heat and light. So unless your night time temperatures are cool, I would go with a combined heat and UVB bulb for the basking spot. I would also use a regular florscent for extra light, which your new greek will need.

Danny

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
i think the 60 should be ok, are you going to leave it on all day and night?

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
evin said:
i think the 60 should be ok, are you going to leave it on all day and night?

I was at first, but then I read that tortoises like a drop in night time temp I have it on from 8am to 8pm. The air temp does not drop below 74.

But, I could keep it on 24/7 if that is better.

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
i leave mine on all night and if they dont like it on they would move to the cool side of the tank, i have one tort that sleeps under it and two that sleep in the cool hide

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If you are using a white light for the heating or basking area I would not leave it on. My lamps are on 5 AM to 5 pm. My hatchlings are usually all tucked in by 4:30 pm the only heat I keep on is during the colder winter months. But no lights are on at night.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cool thanks guys!

I think I will just leave it on, he doesnt usually stay near there at night.

Also, I have been trying to find this online, what is the ideal % humidity for a greek tortoise?

Thanks!

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sounds good, as luck has it, I have a dehumidifier so I have a humidity of 40-45% in the non heated area and the heated area has 30-35%. I am trying to lower the 40-45% but as long as it is below 50% hopefully the little guy will be ok.

I will email lllreptile about the subspecies!

Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
OxyBen said:
Sounds good, as luck has it, I have a dehumidifier so I have a humidity of 40-45% in the non heated area and the heated area has 30-35%. I am trying to lower the 40-45% but as long as it is below 50% hopefully the little guy will be ok.

I will email lllreptile about the subspecies!

Thanks

Ben if you post to Danny he could probably tell you what subspiecies it is. I think LLLReptile sells mainly ibera.

Status
Not open for further replies.