Basking habit questions :)

Freddy90

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Maybe someone can help me

Why do some species of turtle (sliders,painted,cooters) bask for hours every day and others (spotted,musk,mud,snappers) rarely bask ?

My spotted turtle baby never basks.
While my painted turtle baby basks for hours.

Both outside in tubs.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
My three-striped mud turtles do bask, off and on. I haven't noticed any rhyme or reason as to how much.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My spotted turtle bask quite a bit. Even the babies in the rearing tank.

The active basking turtles you mention will bask readily and are also comfortable in rather open water and open basking sites. They will readily bask in the wild even on an open bank with no tree or brush cover nearby.

The other group you accurately mention are much more cryptic baskers. The prefer to remain hidden and are very uncomfortable in the open and exposed. Many choose to float bask hanging in plants near the surface where the water temp is much higher and the UV easily penetrates to them. Without the security of plenty of cover, or cover immediately nearby, they will normally not choose to bask out of the water at all.

Turtles (and tortoises too) do way better when given a lot of cover and hiding places that are as natural looking as possible.

Freddy90

Austria
My spotted turtle bask quite a bit. Even the babies in the rearing tank.

The active basking turtles you mention will bask readily and are also comfortable in rather open water and open basking sites. They will readily bask in the wild even on an open bank with no tree or brush cover nearby.

The other group you accurately mention are much more cryptic baskers. The prefer to remain hidden and are very uncomfortable in the open and exposed. Many choose to float bask hanging in plants near the surface where the water temp is much higher and the UV easily penetrates to them. Without the security of plenty of cover, or cover immediately nearby, they will normally not choose to bask out of the water at all.

Turtles (and tortoises too) do way better when given a lot of cover and hiding places that are as natural looking as possible.

Thank u
So if I want my spotted to bask think I should add more cover? This picture shows current setup :)
Screenshot_20200811-180344_Gallery.jpg

Freddy90

Austria
Are you sure they aren't already basking in the vegetation at the top of the water? The covert baskers are good at doing things quiet like.

No I'm not 100%.. I just hope ur right and he is a ninja :p I'm just worried that he might get shell rot if he doesn't dry his shell completely

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank u
So if I want my spotted to bask think I should add more cover? This picture shows current setup :)
View attachment 303093
What is above the enclosure? Any trees around? Looks like good cover in the enclosure, but mine like to bask near something overhead - tree, bush nearby.

They do also bask in shallow water. Even a foot deep or so, in clear water, they get plenty of UV. Their favorite is hanging in plants near the surface. They are indeed referred to as a cryptic basker.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
No I'm not 100%.. I just hope ur right and he is a ninja :p I'm just worried that he might get shell rot if he doesn't dry his shell completely
I would want to hear from @Markw84, but I'm not thinking spotteds are as prone to shell rot as some of the more overt basking turtles.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Shell rot is not caused by not being able to dry the shell. That is one of those very popular misconceptions. It is from bacteria and improper water conditions that will aggravate it. Many turtles rarely if ever bask. Snappers and musk are good examples. I've seen musk turtles kept in very large show tanks with absolutely no basking platform or any way to get out of the water - and thrive.

Freddy90

Austria
Shell rot is not caused by not being able to dry the shell. That is one of those very popular misconceptions. It is from bacteria and improper water conditions that will aggravate it. Many turtles rarely if ever bask. Snappers and musk are good examples. I've seen musk turtles kept in very large show tanks with absolutely no basking platform or any way to get out of the water - and thrive.

Thank u for ur answers this is really helpful. Now I'm not so worried anymore :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank u for ur answers this is really helpful. Now I'm not so worried anymore :)
The same is true of folks who still say a soft shell is because they cannot dry off. A soft shell is from lack of proper calcium, phosporus, vit D in the right ratios. Has nothing to do with the shell being able to dry off.

Freddy90

Austria
The same is true of folks who still say a soft shell is because they cannot dry off. A soft shell is from lack of proper calcium, phosporus, vit D in the right ratios. Has nothing to do with the shell being able to dry off.

Thank u for educating me! I also thought its cause of not being able to dry of. There's so much wrong info on the internet and I thought they were "experienced reptile keepers"