Basking air or surface temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help with my question I have tried to look for the answer but I am getting conflicting messages.

I have just built an inclosed out side enclosure to keep my two spur thighed tortoises in all year round, they are 4-5 years old I think.

I have placed a 125w Exo Terra solar glo bulb in the enclosure to provide UVB and a basking spot.
The bulb is at the manufactures specified height to give the correct UVB

My issue is what temperature should I be reading? The surface temperature will obviously vary depending on what the surface is so I am assuming that I should be making sure the air temperature under the lamp is correct? E.g. 32-34 •c

Is this correct?

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
You would be correct, rely on air temperature. Different materials have better (or worse) insulating properties than others so relying on surface temps could pose a problem. I prefer a thermometer than a temp gun.

stu

5 Year Member
that is the exact clear answer I wanted thank you, one more question

I am currently measuring the temperature by using a analog thermometer shaded from the direct light and held off the ground but directly under the basking lamp (if that makes sense) as I guessed this would give me the most accurate air temperature as the thermometer is a cheap black plastic one which would just keep heating up if left in direct light.
Is this correct? Or is there a better way?

Thank you

2 x Spur thighed tortoises

Living in GB

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you and which spur thigh? African or Mediterranean?

Most people don't use basking lights outdoors and you certainly don't need an expensive UV bulb outdoors.

I like to get a rock or brick that is about the size of the tortoise and let the lamp beat down on it for a couple of hours. I then use a probe or temp gun to get a reading at that height. A few degrees one way or the other won't matter here. I also like to have a flat rock or piece of slate under the bulb for them to lay on when they bask.

stu

5 Year Member
They are Mediterranean spur thighed, the reason for the UVB bulb is they will have to be kept inside during the winter months so won't be exposed to the sun other than through Perspex. Unfortunately they are not in the best health they have pyramiding and I want to create the best I can for them with the limited space I have.

Living in GB

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Both measures of temperature provide good information to have.

Ambient or "air temperature" is good to know for the cool and warm ends of your enclosure.

Radiant heat temperature is also good to know, and that is what the "temp guns" tell us.

However you can get very good idea of radiant heat from a traditional thermometer is you place it directly on the surface, in the bullseye of the lamp.

Where it gets "tricky" if we want to call it that, tricky, is on those not so cloudy days in the winter, the air temp is say 45 to 50 F, but out of direct breeze the rocks may be 70 to 80F, plenty warm for a tortoise to bask. That is tricky though, because as soon as the 'spot' is in the shade, that temp will drop like a rock.

Your tortoise is a dense object and will absorb warmth even on a cold/sunny day just like the substrate or any other object in the sun. That is when a 'temp gun' makes a big difference.

Will

stu

5 Year Member
Thank you Will I'm looking into getting a gun to make sure the torts don't get too cold and warm.

Living in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.