Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

B K

5 Year Member
Just a question. I was looking at the members list and seen all the banned people, is there something going on or is someone trying to spam the site.Can you get banned for posting to many pictures?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Almost all of the banned members were banned for only joining to spam. It is shocking (to me atleast) the volume of those we do get. Usually it is Yvonne who spots them immediately, so most of the time we never even see their spam. The very very few others are members who unfortunately violated the forum rules. :(

No, posting lots of pictures is not going to get you banned. :D We love lots and lots of pictures!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first thing I do each time I log on is pull up the member's list and ban all the spammers. There are a few things I look for that I.D. the spammers without them having to post anything. If you think our list has a lot of spammers, you should look at the Members' list on the Reptilia forum. Almost everyone who joins that forum is a spammer.

When Josh isn't busy, he goes through and deletes all the banned names. He hasn't done it in a while, though.

B K

5 Year Member
Ok I was worried on the pictures I seen aldabraman was banned and he had posted a lot of pictures.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Sometimes the banning is a sort of random mistake, so when you see a member banned don't assume they've broken forum rules or anything. If you get banned yourself, there are steps you can take to get unbanned.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
B K said:
Ok I was worried on the pictures I seen aldabraman was banned and he had posted a lot of pictures.

i emailed "aldabraman" and he said he has no idea why he has been banned....and he certainly isn't spam....

B K

5 Year Member
Red Earth Exotics said:
B K said:

i emailed "aldabraman" and he said he has no idea why he has been banned....and he certainly isn't spam....

No spam there just great pictures

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Just email Josh he will take care of it. Been there done that...

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Yah, I've been scratching my head over that one too. Usually if it was a posting mistake that gets you banned by the bot(I've been there done that, too many links) it gets fixed fairly quickly. Still no aldabraman. What happened?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can all stop wondering. He's been banned for real. We'll leave it up to him if he wants to tell anyone why. I sent him an email and he never responded.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
As far as the pictures, I was the one posting them for him and I deleted the album from my photobucket after he was banned, which is why the pictures no longer show up.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yeah sometimes a member can get banned by mistake (happened to me a few weeks ago and Josh fixed it quickly)...for me, I think it was when I was trying to post a thread with a bunch of photos, but several things can trigger it. Spam prevention systems aren't perfect, but better than the alternative!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I just have a question do you mods who do the banning at least tell the person why they were banned?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Greg is more than welcome to send an email to one of the moderators if he would like to clear up the situation.

Banning someone isn't a snap decision, except in the case of obvious spammers. The mods discuss things as a group. There are "warning points" as well, which in most situations would come into play before an actual banning.

I don't feel it is my place to provide details, but in Greg's case he was sent an email to clear up some problems, and he failed to respond. He does have the option to clear those things up and be welcomed back.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wow.. i was wondering why it was taking so long to clear his name..
I hope whatever it was, was not hurtful or damaging to anyone...

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Anyone who has contact with Aldabraman, please ask him to answer my emails so we can re-enable his account.

Status
Not open for further replies.