Balcony day 1-advice please

J.Gatz

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
A little bit... I took him to the vet on Friday and he got a shot of antibiotics for something that looked like an injury on one of his front legs :( We noticed that at the pet shop, it seemed to be getting better but the vet wanted to be safe. The vet also checked his poo for parasites and didn't find any so that was a relief. He also suggested that I consider returning Torterra to the pet shop after he heard the conditions they were keeping him in, but that's out of the question... Didn't see any change on Saturday, but Sunday he explored for a few minutes after his soak and it looks like some of his food has been eaten, so I'm hopeful!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That sounds good. Just keep working at it. Preachers maybe to get him to eat tear up a mix of Romain lettuce with things like collard greens and turnip greens. Tortoises love Romain but it's not good as their only food source so if you can mix it with other things maybe he'll eat it. Dandelion flowers and greens are also a favorite usually. Although mine didn't eat dandelion for a year and a half so you never know :) now she literally comes running if she sees I have them in my hand. Try putting your tortoise down in front of the food dish after the soak. Were you able to put the substrate all over the entire patio?

J.Gatz

Hawaii
Thanks for the tip about Romain! I'll definitely try that. Still trying to find dandelion, I have no idea where to buy that...? Haven't expanded the substrate area yet, hopefully this weekend...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My grocery store sells dandelion leaves. Or if you know anybody that has them growing in their yard but is not using pesticides or fertilizers. Escarole, endive,radicchio are also good choices.

J.Gatz

Hawaii
My regular grocery store doesn't sell dandelion, but I've been googling and apparently there's one nearby that does, yay!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the Russian tortoise section for some other food ideas, that store may also sell some that are on that list that are harder to find.