Bad research! -ID needed please and lots of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossdrumKatie

5 Year Member
Hi there, I'm Katie from Dublin, Ireland. I keep corn snakes, a boa, bearded dragons, and most recently acquired a tortoise. In July 2010 my little sister was given the tort for her birthday, and it was sold to us as a Bell's Hingeback. She's only 9 now so obviously my mother has been primarily taking care of the tort.

However, my sister has since lost interest so i've adopted the poor critter. I'll try keep my questions as brief as possible!

I've tried to follow the care sheets online for bell's but a lot of them seem to have conflicting info on them. At the moment she is kept in an open topped tortoise table that we had made. She has a heat lamp and a uv lamp at the warm end, and no heat source at the cool end. I have no thermostat on the heat lamp. Can anybody tell me if i need one? She has a large water bowl at the cool end which she climbs in and out of regularly. When i took her, i switched her from repti-bark to monkfield's tortoise terrain. She has a hide in the warm and and in the cool end and spends most of her time hidden away in either one of them.

Diet wise, she's on a base of mixed lettuce with various chopped up veggies and some fruit too. I've been sprinkling her food with nutrobal every couple of days but i don't know if that's right. She also gets the odd meal worm or morio worm when I have them for the beardies, as well as some dandelines from the garden. I live in ireland so the weather isn't great. However in summer time she does get an hour or two out to graze on warm days.

Any do's and don'ts would be really appreciated. I want to care for the poor thing as best I can now that i've claimed it as my own!

P.S. She isn't overly active, but i'm not sure what's normal for a tortoise. Can anybody give me some tips to look out for regarding a healthy vs unhealthy tort. She seems alert when she's out and eats/poops fine.

I hope these pics will work!

tortoise3.jpg

tortoise2.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.
If I am not mistaken I believe you have an elongated tortoise there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I'm not familiar with your type of tortoise, so I'll let others help you with your questions.

There are two people I can think of off the top of my head who can help you with your tortoise - Kristina and Jacqui. Both of them keep hingeback tortoises.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Definitely one of the Bell's Hingeback, Kinixys belliana ssp. Not sure of which subspecies. Could be K. b. nogueyi. How many claws does it have on the front feet? Most subspecies have 5 claws, except K. b. nogueyi which 4 claws per foot on the front.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. That is a species that no too many of us keep, but from what I have heard the behavior of yours sounds normal.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I was told they are somewhat nocturnal.. the large eyes.. they like to hunt bug worms and snails.. and like lots of plants to hide in.
she is cute!

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not at all familiar with the species, but she looks beautiful and healthy to me!
Welcome to TFO. :)

CrossdrumKatie

5 Year Member
Ah! Well done all involved, she has for claws on each front foot :) Reading the care sheet that tortadise posted.. Should i get a sheet of plastic/glass to close the top of the table now? I wasn't aware they needed so much humidity.

Thank you for all the replies :) I spend quite a bit of time on thecornsnake.co.uk forum so i know how irritating uneducated newbies can be :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yea close it up and keep it very humid. Drill some holes for air flow as well. I would stick with the substrate you have just add by mixing in some coco coir this keeps the humidity relatively high for longer periods than normal bark by itself. Also spray her down every day and the enclosure. Try giving her some mushrooms from the market oyster mushrooms are good. As well as some protein for this species. Canned worms or snails, earth worms low fat dog food in small amounts soaked in water.

CrossdrumKatie

5 Year Member
Great, thanks for all the help :) I'm sure i'll be back soon with more questions and i'll post in the relevant section :D

Status
Not open for further replies.