Bad day... advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
Today feels like i've run into a brick wall ... Guido doesn't seem right and I don't know what to do. For starters I haven't seen him eat in days. In the morning before I leave for work he will be in one spot and when I get home (several hours later) he is in the exact same spot.

I have tried spring mix, weeds, flowers, even lettuce to see if he is just being stubborn and nothing. His temps in his enclosure are 89-93 in the day and he has a exo terra 125w mvb light, and at night I use a nightlight that keeps it at 80ish. Humidity is at 26% but I'm not sure what humidity to use for a texas tort... now his temps haven't been completely consistent because finding the right light has been a pain. He just got over a small run in with my cat :/ and since his shell is "the softest my vet has ever seen" he was put on calcium and vitamin shots provided by the vet. I've soaked him for the past 3 days first two days in baby carrots and today In bird vitamins. The first night it seemed to wake him up but I still didn't see him eat but he did move more than usual... the other two soaks nothing not much success. Is there anything else I can try just to get him to eat? Are there any suggestions ... :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
cats arent a good mix.. especially with a fragile one with a soft shell. what kind of run in? if there was any sort of bite or saliva contact.. the baby is probably too waek to fight it off.
none of it sounds good... sorry..
Vitamin injections can also cause some major issues.. very easy to overdose...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your light might be too much for him. I only use 100 watt bulbs. Try having it on for only a couple hours during the middle of the day, and exchange it for a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb the rest of the time.

Just keep up with the soaks daily. I've never had experience with the calcium injections, but they just might be putting him off a bit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry:( I can't offer any help, but I can offer moral support and good wishes:D
Hope things turn for the good quick.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
another thing.. dont handle him much right now.. it may stress him out too much. let him stay in his enclosure and just watch him. and of course keep the cat out.

EKLC

5 Year Member
is he awake when you're attempting to feed? Try hand feeding thin slices of cactus or pumpkin. My guy would only touch that while sick. He also would go for mazuri, which was good because I soaked it in calcium water

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
The run in wasn't anything major "according to the vet" (scared me to death tho) his soft shell did crack right on the side and epoxy was applied... it was all my fault I left the top of his enclosure off after feeding him and ran out to run some errands completing forgetting to secure it back on... the second I got home and saw him I took him straight to the vet

As for the light I will make that adjustment the only reason I got the 125w was because his new enclosure will be 4ft by 2ft and I figured that it would be enough to cover it well. I do see why the injections could be putting him off. He just seems very lethargic and weak and the not eating only concerns me more. I will continue to soak him. Although what should I use bird vitamins or baby carrots since I have both?

Yvonne, I've read a few of your post about liquid bird vitamins I got the 8 in 1 vita sol (sp?) how do you mix it? Do i just put a few drops in or a tb spoon of it with warm water? I use

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The run in wasn't anything major "according to the vet" (scared me to death tho) his soft shell did crack right on the side and epoxy was applied...

Dear, this is a traumatic experience coupled with significant injury...imagine if you will, that the little tortoise instinctively knows everything is out to eat it...then he encounters the cat --a predator, who mauls him enough to cause damage....

I say this not to kick a gal when she is down (really not my meaning nor intention) but rather to point out that he is likely EXTREMELY stressed and injured...so letting him relax and de stress a bit would be good...also, I would check with your vet about baby food soaks and vitamin soaks right now---he has that injury of his shell and you would not want to add any increased risk of a point of entry for infection...I believe until you speak with the vet...perhaps just clean warm water soaks...making certain to quickly have clean water on hand in the event he leaves you poo or pee--so you can change out the water to clean.....

Also, what type of vitamin shots?

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
He didn't make it through the night... thanks for everyone's advice...

He never got to see the tort table I made for him... sigh...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh sh___ T!!! That's just terrible. I guess the cat injury was more significant than we realized. I'm so very, very sorry this happened, Janelle. I know words don't make it any better, but I'm really sorry.

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
I never in my life would have thought my heart would hurt so bad over losing a little tort, but I feel so incomplete right now. I don't know if it was from the cat incident since it was almost two weeks ago, or maybe he had been holding off to pass for a while. He went two years on lettuce and sitting in a 10 gal tank with no light before I stepped in... I did everything I could it feels like... maybe he was just to tired to live. I just feel like I failed him... :(

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
LuvmyGreenSon said:
I never in my life would have thought my heart would hurt so bad over losing a little tort, but I feel so incomplete right now. I don't know if it was from the cat incident since it was almost two weeks ago, or maybe he had been holding off to pass for a while. He went two years on lettuce and sitting in a 10 gal tank with no light before I stepped in... I did everything I could it feels like... maybe he was just to tired to live. I just feel like I failed him... :(

NOOO don't feel like that!! We lost our beloved Doddle our red eared slider about a month ago from RI and I did everything I was supposed to by the book. Sometimes bad things happen that u can't help. It was horrible watching him die but he never showed symptoms until it was too late so I kinda know how you feel and I truly am sorry for your loss :'(

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so sorry for your loss. He is now in turtle Heaven with my Tiny Tim.

Carol

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
I'm so very sorry. Please don't blame yourself, you rescued him, and loved him, I'm sure he knew that.

Somewhere, there's a little tort waiting for you whenever you're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.