BAD BUSINESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I have talked with several people recently that have had bad deals with either getting animals that were not as claimed. Also that once people recieve the animals, do not pay or stop/contest the payment. I spoke with two well known tortoise retailers, just this week, that has had issues with paypal and the banks associated with paypal. Not to name a specific business or specific people, but have others had or notice this is increasing among the reptile community/businesses? I struggle with what I have heard recently and contribute some to the economy. We have never had a problem, however it is of concern. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
So are you saying that people are paying with Paypal and then calling Paypal back to dispute the payment to get their money back?

Or the retailers offered payment plans, the person now has the animal and isn't making payments?

I'm honestly not surprised. But that is pretty worrysome. I think as long as they have documented the purchased, agreement (if a payment plan) etc, Paypal will no doubt be on their side though.

Guess you just have to be extra careful now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am a minor seller on ebay, part time and I have been scammed four times by people who have bought on ebay then claimed to not have gotten the merchandise, I like paypal but they are a little to customer oriented, they take the word of the buyer over the seller almost all of the time, And I have had proof of mailing and still paypal wilt not listen all it takes is a simple dispute charges email and more than likely they will get the money refunded, some people have no honor. I can't comment personally on the reptile side of it, but I have mo doubt some people are pulling scams, just to get free merchandise, bad economy or good, people's character is still peoples character.

John

5 Year Member
i have noticed more and more places are no longer accepting paypal,this may be due too charges inccured i don't know.it recently cost me 14 bucks for a money request,a money order would have cost me nothing. john

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can only speak from the experience of somebody whom order tortoises (hingebacks) twice in the past being told the animals were "eating well and had good weight", only to get them and find atleast one of the three weighed about the same as a feather each time. Their poor eating could be blamed on the stress of eating, so their is no proof that part was a lie. No they were not sent back and no I never tried for any money back. It does make me a bit leery of buying tortoises online and is why I advise people to expect the worse when they do order.

I really despise folks who lie to get something for nothing. I work for my money and expect others to do the same. I would also hate to see Paypal not be allowed by tortoise dealers, because for me since often I am out on the road when I normally find the things to buy, it works super well for me to use it. On the semi I can't just run into a bank or even a WalMart to get a money order or cashiers check. Then there is the hurdle of trying to find a mailbox. For me Paypal is just so hassle free I love using it.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
The two torts I purchased most recently were not as claimed. They each had undeclared extra scutes and we are still working on their parasite issues. I purchased them from a major online dealer. I had previously purchased from them and was very pleased with that first animal. I did not stop payment or dispute charges, but they probably won't see further business or referrals from me.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
This has been an issue since I started buying reptiles through the mail - 20 Years? I know it was before the internet and when you talk to someone on the phone, they either are confident & incorrect or not telling the truth most of the time (if they bothered to talk to you at all). Now with the internet, you would hope to have actual pictures of the reptile you are buying. Some refuse, some send 'fake' pictures, some send very bad quality pictures and there are a few good people that will send a cataloge of pictures for you.

And what was my choice if not through the mail? Going to the pet store and either never finding what I was looking for, seeing the animal was not in good health already or getting a stunted animal. After seeing my first pricelist, I was in heaven. The world of reptiles seemed to be a phone call away.

Reptile people say they want to move from WC to CB, but if you are going to get screwed, you don't want to get screwed out of a lot of money so you learn to go for the cheap WC. I used to buy 3 to 6 WC animals in hopes that they were the correct species/subspecies and at least one was healthy. I learned early that I would most likely have to treat for parasites and bring the animal to good health.

Now a days there are more breeders and I hunt down the good ones. The good ones care, have pictures and good prices.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
dmmj said:
I am a minor seller on ebay, part time and I have been scammed four times by people who have bought on ebay then claimed to not have gotten the merchandise.

Use delivery confirmation. For sales over $250, get a signature. Problem solved.

B K

5 Year Member
I have been scammed on ebay but paypal fixed it but that was long ago when they first started and gave you 10$ for joining.

Status
Not open for further replies.