Bacterial infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My male russian Norman has not been very active for a couple of months and then he pretty much stopped eating. He get's up in the morning to warm himself but that is pretty much it. I have actually only seem him eat 1/2 a dandelion leaf and a bit of carrot on seperate days in the past month, keeping in mind I work during the day during the week. He is still active in the soaking tub and for a short while after that. I weighed him a week an a half ago and he has lost weight. So we made a trip to the vet for a check up which included a stool sample and a culture an sensitivity test. The stool came back negative for parasites but the culture came back with a baterial infection. His shell looks great and so does his skin, so no problems there. The vet could not give me a satisfactory answer as to why Norman would have an infection but Thelma, who lives with him, is not sick. She is active and eating everthing she is suppose to and putting on weight like a good tortoise.
Does anyone have any thoughts or comments about why Norman would get a bacterial infection and Thelma would not?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I hope Norman gets back eating soon! So, no symptoms besides weight loss? How is it to be treated?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
torts4me, Torts like some people are susceptible to some bacteria where others are not due to better immune systems. Just like when one person gets the flu and some people around them get it and others do not. Usually the ones who have not contacted the flu are those that have great immune systems.
If Norman is stressed or has a weakened immune system he could come down with a bacterial infection. Where Thelma has a good immune system so she does not have the difficulty combating the bacteria that caused the infection in Norman.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
torts4me, Torts like some people are susceptible to some bacteria where others are not due to better immune systems. Just like when one person gets the flu and some people around them get it and others do not. Usually the ones who have not contacted the flu are those that have great immune systems.
If Norman is stressed or has a weakened immune system he could come down with a bacterial infection. Where Thelma has a good immune system so she does not have the difficulty combating the bacteria that caused the infection in Norman.

Thanks for the input. Now, we catch the flu from others around us or via shopping carts, hehe...woudn't Norman have to catch it from someone or something else? Just trying to understand. Could he have caught the bug from being outside during the nice days of early spring, I suppose that could have stressed him a bit?

tortoisenerd said:
I hope Norman gets back eating soon! So, no symptoms besides weight loss? How is it to be treated?

We are going to the vet today for the first injection in a series of 4 . Don't ask me to pronounce or spell the kind of bacterial infection she said he had :p, but she suggested the shots. I am trusting her diagnosis because she has treated my other torts and they have all gotten better and are doing just fine.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
What kind of shots? Do you know the name of the antibiotic (I assume)? Just make sure it's not Ivermectin, as it is fatal to torts and sadly some vets even don't know that. Baytril is commonly used. That's good you have experience with the vet in the past--it's scary when a little one is sick.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Torts4me, this bacteria could have been there for some time. HAs Norman ever been housed with another tort? Or in a pen that another tort has been in? If he has he could have gotten it then and in time his system has declined or the bacteria has gotten stronger and boom you have a URI.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wanted to give you an update on Norman. He has finished his injections and is doing great! He has been very very active and is loving the summer we are having out here. Just loves living outside as apposed to indoors, go figure. :p

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ivermectin is not an antibiotic.. just fyi for those who might be wondering.. its a wormer.. its what is in Heartgard for dogs.. used in livestock a lot and other critters But NEVER Torts.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am so glad Norman is doing fine now. :) Did you ever find out what antibiotic was used?

I just watched a show that said Ivermectin should also not be used on Collies. They have a genetic anomaly that it can cause death in them also.

Status
Not open for further replies.