Backyard Tortoise Keeping - Dietary Sustainability

L

LasTortugasNinja

We never froze here this year. Very odd. That has never happened and I've live here for 21 years now. It got down to 34 twice, but never any lower than that. We have a little mixed succulent pot outside the back door that contains some Portulacaria, and it has been doing well all winter long. Don't tell my daughter (Its her plant…), but I've been taking cuttings to feed to the stars all winter long. :)
Lol my wife has had a small window herb and succulent garden in the window for 3 years now. I’ve been ... borrowing ... bits for food options. My wife thought I was bored and trimming.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It was interesting to revisit this OLD thread. I guess @Neal didn't achieve his 2017 New Year Resolution to add to the thread monthly. How about an update, Neal?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It was interesting to revisit this OLD thread. I guess @Neal didn't achieve his 2017 New Year Resolution to add to the thread monthly. How about an update, Neal?

Yeah, still working on that 2017 News Years Resolution, lol.

The dietary sustainability plan worked well enough that I have only purchased very few food items over the past couple of years. I have a variety of cactus that has been able to keep up with my bio-load, and other plants options are naturally abundant enough for what I have. I'll try to take a picture and upload it when I can remember, so stay tuned for another couple of years for that.

Things have changed dramatically at the Butler homestead. I never thought I'd say this, but I have moved out a lot of my tortoises. I still have some, and will always probably have a couple, but there are just more important things in our lives right now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, still working on that 2017 News Years Resolution, lol.

The dietary sustainability plan worked well enough that I have only purchased very few food items over the past couple of years. I have a variety of cactus that has been able to keep up with my bio-load, and other plants options are naturally abundant enough for what I have. I'll try to take a picture and upload it when I can remember, so stay tuned for another couple of years for that.

Things have changed dramatically at the Butler homestead. I never thought I'd say this, but I have moved out a lot of my tortoises. I still have some, and will always probably have a couple, but there are just more important things in our lives right now.

I totally understand! I want to cut back myself.

L

LasTortugasNinja

My yard has blossomed with weeds after a recent deluge of rain. I’ve got more than my little guy can eat. Should I save some? If so, better to dry them and reconstitute them or freeze them in freezer bags for the summer dry season? I have a large freezer that can store frozen, and a walk-in pantry I can store dried. Just whichever is a more nutritious option.