Back around to tortoises again!

keithsf

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Just found and joined the site today! It's been a while since I've owned tortoises. I had to adopt out the last four (two leopards, two Hermann's) when we bought our previous home in 1998 - unfortunately it wasn't very conducive for providing a safe environment for them, but fortunately they did go to an extremely good home owned by a buddy of mine (and there's no way I can get them back now...!)

But we recently moved again to a new home in San Mateo, CA with a much safer yard, and I'm just beginning the planning stages of designing and building new state-of-the-art habitats in our garage & yard.

I've previously owned several Hermann's, all CB males, but also included one notable very large wild-caught female that wanted to do nothing but escape, so I ended up trading her back to the store for a baby redfoot tortoise. Also the two leopards mentioned above, another leopard, an indian star, and a couple of box turtles way back.

I'm looking forward to re-acquainting myself with this rewarding pastime and all of the advances that have been made of late. (I just pulled out my Encyclopedia of Turtles by Pritchard last night) (And I'm still irritated that for all of those years we were told to add bone meal to their diets resulting in all of the abnormally pyramided scutes...)

Regards to all,
Keith

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum, Keith.
Here you'll find the most complete and up to date tortoise care information there is and lots of experienced keepers.
And welcome back to the wonderful world of tortoise and turtle care.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The current school of thought is that too dry is what causes pyramiding. Welcome to the forum. We have several members who have spent incredible amounts of time studying and experimenting with husbandry to raise healthy smooth tortoises. Fortunately they willingly share their knowledge and experience here.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Keith welcome to the TFO from AZ . You had made some great choises leopards and Herrmanns rule ! Welcome back !

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. You'll find the Redfoot tortoises to be relaxing. Not a lot of drama when you keep several and have enough room. As long as they eat well and have shady areas, (They don't spend much time in direct sunlight) a temp of 78-88 and high humidity. You'll also want to incorporate a shallow pool for them to soak in. They love the water.
IMO, stick with just the ONE species. With Redfoot, you can go hog wild and have many specimens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Keith, and welcome to the Forum!

I believe you are our first member from San Mateo.

keithsf

5 Year Member
Ah - learning already - thanks everyone! I definitely only want one species going forward - still mulling which one on which to focus. Current list to consider (ok dream) about in descending order is probably: radiated, western Hermann's, burmese stars, redfoots, leopards, etc!!

Brgds,
Keith

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Radiated are beautiful. Got a CWB permit?

Western Herman's are super cool. Call or email Chris and get your na,e on the waiting list.

Burmese stars are one of, if not my favorite species. Easy, hardy, good personality and good looks too.

I don't do RFs. Too dry here in CA. Too much work to do it right here.

All leopards are great, but if you take the time to search out and wait for South African leopards I think you will be pleased.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Burmese stars are one of, if not my favorite species. Easy, hardy, good personality and good looks too.

Wow. Over sulcattas and leopards? I'll have to look into these guys. Does the same apply to the Sri Lanken/Indian stars?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
My opinion is read up on all the CURRENT info (closed chambers are fun to build), Pick your MOST dreamed of tortoise and go Hog wild! Otherwise, eventually you will have more than one species... You just won't be happy with what you have completely until you find THE ONE. For me that is an African Leopard Pardalis Pardalis. They can be hard to find so i settled for my a couple Burmese Black Mountain Tortoise babies. Then I saw a 3 year old African Leopard Pardalis Babcocki that was awesome and I just had to have that! AND I STILL KEEP MY EYES PEELED FOR THE THE ONE! It'll not end until I find one:(

Have fun with what ever you choose though. I am!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. Over sulcattas and leopards? I'll have to look into these guys. Does the same apply to the Sri Lanken/Indian stars?

A big factor in my choice of species to work with is personality. I like bold active outgoing tortoises. Burms fit this description well, but not the Indian or Sri Lankan Stars I've come across.

The personality of my SA Leopards has really been coming out lately. They will be 5 in Sept and every time I think they couldn't get better, they do. Sulcatas just have fantastic personalities anyway you look at it. Hard to beat that, but the leopards are right there. My Burms are still young, but they get more outgoing and bold as time goes by. About half of them come running for food when they see me now. On Mazuri day the Burms are literally climbing over each other to get to me and the food. Gotta love that.

Great new avatar by the way!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A big factor in my choice of species to work with is personality. I like bold active outgoing tortoises. Burms fit this description well, but not the Indian or Sri Lankan Stars I've come across.

The personality of my SA Leopards has really been coming out lately. They will be 5 in Sept and every time I think they couldn't get better, they do. Sulcatas just have fantastic personalities anyway you look at it. Hard to beat that, but the leopards are right there. My Burms are still young, but they get more outgoing and bold as time goes by. About half of them come running for food when they see me now. On Mazuri day the Burms are literally climbing over each other to get to me and the food. Gotta love that.

Archelon, of course, but this one looks somewhat underfed.
Indeed a super avatar.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Radiated are beautiful. Got a CWB permit?

Western Herman's are super cool. Call or email Chris and get your na,e on the waiting list.

I don't do RFs. Too dry here in CA. Too much work to do it right here.

All leopards are great, but if you take the time to search out and wait for South African leopards I think you will be pleased.

Ummmm...How do you search out and wait for south african leopards? cringing. OMG. You are an enabler. I have 3 torts I don't NEED more right now so if you show me one for sale I swear I'll kick your b***! ;) But really, when the time is right(florida next spring?) who do I/where do I go to to get the most awesome one?

keithsf

5 Year Member
Ummmm...How do you search out and wait for south african leopards? cringing. OMG. You are an enabler. I have 3 torts I don't NEED more right now so if you show me one for sale I swear I'll kick your b***! ;) But really, when the time is right(florida next spring?) who do I/where do I go to to get the most awesome one?

Hey wait a minute, this thread was supposed to be about me! ;) JK

Just spent the last hour digging through posts and FWS FAQs about CWB permits... Looks a bit daunting, but I'm still game. Clearly we're not meant to keep radiated tortoises (still #1 on the list) simply as pets, but I'm at a good point in life where I can give back a bit, and helping with endangered species propagation would be very cool. Any specific advice?

Thanks all,
Keith

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
As i stated, I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for THE ONE...LOL
Sorry! Can't help myself.
That's funny radiated are on my list too!
There are plenty of helpful people here that will help you get the paperwork filled out correctly and sent to the proper place.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
A big factor in my choice of species to work with is personality. I like bold active outgoing tortoises.

That's my interest as well. Sulcattas are too big for me and stars too expensive. I've been planning to get a Babcocki leopard and hope for the best, but you've got me thinking I should save up for a SA.

Sorry for any thread high jacking!

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
Welcome to the forum and back to torts.
My leopard was dry started so has slight pyramiding (some say they can't tell but I can ;) ) however as soon as I got him I went to humid environment, power sun bulbs and a varied diet. Toms ways are proven. Trust me. I've been raising my boy pretty close to Toms exact writing and the others in the clutch are being raised as the breeder had said to. Mine is by far the smoothest and biggest.
Good luck on the incredibly hard decision! Lol!