Babyyyyy sulcata substrate

krissy56

I was told by a 2 vets that I should not use a substrate with my 6 week old baby sulcata that it's too dangerous for him to consume it and I should just be using newspaper or paper towl till he gets older to make sure he is using the bathroom like he should
Right now I'm just using a non additive soil and misting 2-3 times a day he doesn't seen to dig and burrow in it so should I switch or no?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's what is so sad, even most vets don't have a clue. Please, read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising for your sulcata to grow healthy and smooth. My favorite substrate is coconut coir. It holds humidity well, if you dampen it and pat it down and line the water bowl with some larger flat stones or tiles it will help to keep,the water cleaner from the coir. Your baby needs a constant humidity of 80% with temps no lower then 80 day and night, with a basking area of 95+ degrees. The threads below are a must read for leopards and sulcatas.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The no-additive soil should be okay. Like Wellington, I the coconut coir. It is mold and mildew resistant, holds humidity, easy to clean, and last a long time. Vets aren't always tortoise keepers themselves. They may be out of touch with the best husbandry techniques.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I too like the coir and just picked up another three pack via Amazon. It's very convenient, easy to use, and once moisted well it really does make a nice natural layer. I also use peatmoss that works very similar to the coir. I recently picked up two 2.2 cu ft bales so i have plenty for my indoor enclosures this Winter. Both, once properly moistened, maintain nice humidity levels. My young sully enjoys walking about this substrate and picking and poking at various food bits, cuttlebone, etc.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
WOW! I'm glad my vet has knowledge on tort care! Coco coir is AMAZING, but you can use organic topsoil or orchid bark :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would like to know what experience that opinion is based on. How many sulcatas have your vets hatched and raised? What condition was their shell in with no substrate in a dry room with an open topped enclosure? I have hatched and raised literally hundreds of them. They spend their first week or so out of the egg on damp paper towels in a humid warm plastic shoe box until their yolk sac absorbs and they they go straight on to fine grade orchid bark. I don't like coir for sulcatas, but it won't hurt anything if you do. I've done it this way for years and have never had any issue with it. I've raised sulcata, leopard, russian and DT hatchlings on orchid bard and coco coir without issue.

I would not start a baby dry like that. Your soil is probably fine.

Here is how I like to raise them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/