Baby tortoise we’re not sure what’s wrong PLEASE HELP

Location (City and/or State)
Sandhurst
Hiya my Herman hatchling has just been born. It was really struggling to get out of its shell so we had to help it out a little. When his shell opened we saw that 2 of his legs looked almost tapped within the shell. Then we turned him over to find that his bottom shell is very rounded and he is struggling to walk as it is taller than him. We really do not know what to do. Also this is what is in his egg.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. I am not the right person to help, but it may help if you add some pictures for one of the more experienced members to see. Hope everything works out ok for your baby.

Sandhurst
Welcome to the forum. I am not the right person to help, but it may help if you add some pictures for one of the more experienced members to see. Hope everything works out ok for your baby.
Hatchling is very distressed maybe when he calms down. Thank you for your advice. This is the second clutch we’ve had and all others have been ok.

KronksMom

Illinois
It's tough to see in the photos. Are his little legs fully developed? I know they're small, but do they actually have tiny claws like they should, or does he just have a nub on one or two limbs?

Sandhurst
It's tough to see in the photos. Are his little legs fully developed? I know they're small, but do they actually have tiny claws like they should, or does he just have a nub on one or two limbs?
Both of his right legs look as if they haven’t developed properly. There is one or two claws on each but not 4 like the others

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
I have heard of a lot of special needs animals that do survive. It is up to the tortoise to have the will to do so. They are pretty stubborn animals. Some animals just aren't meant to survive. If he was incubated naturally, he probably wouldn't be alive right now. He actually doesn't look that badly deformed...I cannot say for his insides though.

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
Now I see it.

I didn't look that closely at the pictures. Is there such thing as a tortoise wheelchair? That is if it even survives. I know it would be cute, but it may not be functional. I'm sure the animal wouldn't have a good quality life that way either.

Sandhurst
Now I see it.

I didn't look that closely at the pictures. Is there such thing as a tortoise wheelchair? That is if it even survives. I know it would be cute, but it may not be functional. I'm sure the animal wouldn't have a good quality life that way either.
Yes that’s what we’re worried about. As much as we want to to survive we don’t want it to be in pain or have a horrible life ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Give him a few days to become the shape that he'll become
Some tortoises hatch out smooshed a bit.
But if he stays deformed, you can either try to keep him alive and make sure that his forever home is one with the time and patience needed. (If not you)
I was fortunate enough to get my little rescue Redfoot healthy enough to eat and drink on his own. And his mobility issues got to the point that he got around without assistance. Then I gifted him to a woman that lived for that type of thing.
Heart of gold and lots of time on her hands.
The other option is euthanasia. Before you opt for that, try to find someone up to the task of keeping him.
Those people are out there.
But that is up to you.
He could also just fail to thrive and die anyway. If that happens, at least you know you did all you could do.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Now I see it.

There are people out there with time, money, compassion and patience that will do anything to help an animal survive.
Wheelchairs, prosthetics, etc.
That's a step beyond. But it still happens

Sandhurst
Give him a few days to become the shape that he'll become
Some tortoises hatch out smooshed a bit.
But if he stays deformed, you can either try to keep him alive and make sure that his forever home is one with the time and patience needed. (If not you)
I was fortunate enough to get my little rescue Redfoot healthy enough to eat and drink on his own. And his mobility issues got to the point that he got around without assistance. Then I gifted him to a woman that lived for that type of thing.
Heart of gold and lots of time on her hands.
The other option is euthanasia. Before you opt for that, try to find someone up to the task of keeping him.
Those people are out there.
But that is up to you.
He could also just fail to thrive and die anyway. If that happens, at least you know you did all you could do.
Thank you we will do our best and hopefully things turn out ok.

Sandhurst
She’s struggling to move around because of her legs and we’re not sure what we can do to help her. We’re concerned as to weather everything is working properly inside but even we can’t tell.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
This is a video of an adult desert tortoise that I had hatched. She is the tort to the right and her left front leg is absent. She does fine. It’s going to depend on organ development.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.MOV
    27.2 MB

Rianne

The Villages, Florida
Now I see it.

I’ve seen wheelchairs made of legos for turtles