Baby tort

drdeaton2016

Location (City and/or State)
Watson, la
Leo was born December 23, in the last week he’s become super lathargic, his under side is very soft and he rarely opens his eyes.

ive always struggled getting him to eat if the calcium is on his food and he also won’t touch the mazuri. Any suggestions or tips?

we are redoing his enclosure to something hopefully better. A more powerful UVA/UVB light and moving his house in front of a window, giving him a lot more outside time when weather permits.
Can I give him liquid calcium just to get something into his system?

Attachments

• 7B99BD0E-EC57-4E9C-B277-ED253CFE6E45.jpeg
    7B99BD0E-EC57-4E9C-B277-ED253CFE6E45.jpeg
    615.8 KB · Views: 8

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You can always spray down the calcium with a spray bottle. Only give a tiny amount of calcium 1-2 times each week. What does his diet look like, how often do you soak him, what are the temperatures of your tank? Is he eating, pooping and going pee?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leo was born December 23, in the last week he’s become super lathargic, his under side is very soft and he rarely opens his eyes.

ive always struggled getting him to eat if the calcium is on his food and he also won’t touch the mazuri. Any suggestions or tips?

we are redoing his enclosure to something hopefully better. A more powerful UVA/UVB light and moving his house in front of a window, giving him a lot more outside time when weather permits.
Can I give him liquid calcium just to get something into his system?
You bought from the wrong source, or you've kept him too dry. Read this:

By contrast, this is how they should be started:

Unfortunately, most people start this species all wrong, and also give the wrong care advice. What you have happening there is the result. Sorry to give you bad news, but at least you'll know what is going on. No vet can help either, in case you were leaning that way. Whatever damage has been done cannot be undone.

Your questions are welcome. Happy to explain further.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
What tom said is so true. Ive been through the impulse buy pet store sulcata baby on rabbit pellets and dog dish,water bowl..and thought i could save it and be a hero.. nope.. just a sad ending. Seemed to be doing great for a couple months and then just stopped growing. I read Toms thread about getting stuck on the 50 gram mark and it was exactly what happened. I did everything right and nothing helped. Lesson learned is to find a reputable breeder that starts their babies right. Ive done that and what a difference it makes.

drdeaton2016

Watson, la
You bought from the wrong source, or you've kept him too dry. Read this:

By contrast, this is how they should be started:

Unfortunately, most people start this species all wrong, and also give the wrong care advice. What you have happening there is the result. Sorry to give you bad news, but at least you'll know what is going on. No vet can help either, in case you were leaning that way. Whatever damage has been done cannot be undone.

Your questions are welcome. Happy to explain further.
He’s our 3rd from the same breeder, they’re doing fantastic and his set up is similar to ours. This makes me sad :(