Baby tort taking antibiotic shots?

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
I agree she must learn to live without antibiotics. I'm just ready for her to be better! After her nighttime soak she was back up to 65 grams.

I'm sorry to hear about your redfoot. I hope he can recover from his previous situation. Best of luck to you! Keep me updated!
Thank you. I got him one year ago and bought another redfoot tort from a breeder. Both torts had been equal in weight. Now the one from the breeder is much bigger and weight more than my little "problem child".

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The weight fluctuation...could it be due to the time each day (before/after eating) that she is being weighed, and whether or not she has pooped?

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
The weight fluctuation...could it be due to the time each day (before/after eating) that she is being weighed, and whether or not she has pooped?

Yes it definitely coincides with how much she poops. But she was consistently gaining (even 4 days after we stopped antibiotics) but now she is not- and is just hanging between 63-67 grams for about a week now.

Is it normal to not have great increases some weeks? I also scaled back on how much vitamins I was giving her (under vets guidance) so she is only getting one vitamin soak a day and calcium a few times a week. Wondering if I should up that again? Or if I just need to calm down because this can be normal! I'm just not used to normal and not sure what it looks like at this point!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What I would do at this point is what you said - just "calm down" and continue to feed her all the most nutritious and correct things in a wide variety each day, make sure she gets her daily soaks, that her temperatures and humidity are spot on and she gets quality time alone. Maybe just "give her a break" and yourself too!

Bee62

Germany
Yes it definitely coincides with how much she poops. But she was consistently gaining (even 4 days after we stopped antibiotics) but now she is not- and is just hanging between 63-67 grams for about a week now.

Is it normal to not have great increases some weeks? I also scaled back on how much vitamins I was giving her (under vets guidance) so she is only getting one vitamin soak a day and calcium a few times a week. Wondering if I should up that again? Or if I just need to calm down because this can be normal! I'm just not used to normal and not sure what it looks like at this point!
I think too that you must calm down.:):)
When you would own a sulcata I would tell you that it is normal that they gain one gram every day in weight, but a redfoot can`t grow as much. The main thing is that Loretta is eating every day.
Please try to be patient.:) We are all by your side.;)

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
What I would do at this point is what you said - just "calm down" and continue to feed her all the most nutritious and correct things in a wide variety each day, make sure she gets her daily soaks, that her temperatures and humidity are spot on and she gets quality time alone. Maybe just "give her a break" and yourself too!

Thank you- sometimes you just need someone to tell you to calm down! I currently still have her humidity and temps on a higher side (85+!for humidity and 83-86 for temps). Do you think I should go down at all?

Bee62

Germany
Thank you- sometimes you just need someone to tell you to calm down! I currently still have her humidity and temps on a higher side (85+!for humidity and 83-86 for temps). Do you think I should go down at all?

I would keep temp and humidity high, just like that what you wrote. It`s fine for a redfoot tortoise.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
She's still trucking guys! Over 80 grams and doing great! Off of her vitamin soaks and now just calcium every few days! Whoo hoo!

Bee62

Germany
She's still trucking guys! Over 80 grams and doing great! Off of her vitamin soaks and now just calcium every few days! Whoo hoo!
Woo hoo from me too. great news. It was a rough way but it looks like she found back to life. That`s wonderful.:) Brave Loretta and brave "tort-mum".:)
By the way: Can we have new pics of Loretta ?

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
IMG_4785.jpgIMG_4786.jpgIMG_1510425060.127275.jpg

I am feeling very very positive about our longterm. It is just crazy how quickly things can go south with them and how long it takes to come back. I'm already worried about next year's summer vacation and who will watch her! And yes! Of course you can! The first two are from a week ago, last one just a minute ago.

Progress on your end too?

Bee62

Germany
View attachment 222555View attachment 222556View attachment 222557

I am feeling very very positive about our longterm. It is just crazy how quickly things can go south with them and how long it takes to come back. I'm already worried about next year's summer vacation and who will watch her! And yes! Of course you can! The first two are from a week ago, last one just a minute ago.

Progress on your end too?
Thanks for the pics. Loretta looks like my little one that don`t want to grow. Unfortunately no really progress with him.

Bee62

Germany
So cute! Is he a red or yellow foot?
I am not sure. The scales on his legs are red but his head is yellow ! I got him from craiglist and so I don`t know much about him.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
I am not sure. The scales on his legs are red but his head is yellow ! I got him from craiglist and so I don`t know much about him.

Loretta is kinda similar! She is supposed to be a cherry head but I think she might be a hybrid between yellow and cherry.

Bee62

Germany
Loretta is kinda similar! She is supposed to be a cherry head but I think she might be a hybrid between yellow and cherry.
That is possible that they are hybrids. I have another redfoot that grows very well and is very healthy. She is the double size of my little "not want to grow" fellow. Her shell is very dark and the scales on her legs are red too. But the head is yellow ! DSCN1764.JPG