Baby Tort Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
As for the bulb, use whatever you need to get the desired temp. Personally, I think 100 Watt for that enclosure is too much. If the total cage height is 14 inches it is less than that from the heat to the floor. I would bet your temp directly under that bulb is very hot. As for thermometer, get an infrared one. We have this exact one, the PE-1 and it is well worth the money http://www.tempgun.com/order.html. A Hermanns can tolerate room temp at night, unless you allow your house to get below 65F at night. So, I would not use any heat at night. I hope this helps. I am pleased that you are learning. The next time will be perfect. Get the temp gun, you will use it all the time! I am sure to open a can of worms here, but if you are using calcium with D-3, you don't need the UV bulb. I have raised and continue to raise very healthy hatchlings of a variety of species without the regular use of UV bulbs.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Not sure with the Hermanns, but with Russians I learned that reptibark is an awful substrate. Not only does it not hold moisture very well, but it is too loose to give the little guys adequate leg purchase. There are lots of good recommendations for sub here in the forums. Mine is about 50% organic mulch, 30 reptibark (couldn't stomach throwing all that money away), and 20% coconut coir. They like to burrow so they need deep enough sub to bury themselves. Timothy Hay works for my Russian and I have not yet read anything against it for the Hermanns, but those who know them better can correct me if I am wrong.

Hope That helps and read, read, read, everything you can. These guys are fart smell... er, I mean smart fellers when it comes to tort care.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I like Darren's substrate mix. I use something similar, about 60% organic soil, 30% coconut coir and the rest ground up leaf litter and sphagnum moss. I like it because it holds moisture well but remains solid for firm footing and burrowing.
I use straw for all my adult tortoises including Hermann's, Russians, Ibera and Marginateds. Timothy hay works but is less mold resistant than straw. It does remain very dry but does allow for tortoises to hide in it. Even though I currently use it, I'll be the first to admit that straw/hay is not an ideal substrate. It's "so-so" for adults but should not be used at all for developing juvenilles that require more constant substrate moisture and solid footing. Unfortunately, in my area other suitable commercial choices like aspen bedding or cypress or mulch are hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.